Issues with Compiz...

I'm trying to run Compiz with either MATE and Gnome2 with similar issues. Whenever I launch compiz --replace & I lost all windowing frames and I have to issue back a metacity --replace or a marco --replace (with MATE) to get back any form of windowing borders.

I know that composition do works because when I activate it under gconf-editor (or mateconf-editor) and select transparency with Gnome Terminal (or MATE terminal) I do get transparent window backgrounds.

Is there a way to have compiz be more verbose as to why it does fail?

Thanks!

I need to point out that I'm using an nVidia 560 GTX with compositing enabled (among other things).

compiz --replace & launches compiz without any plugins. Make sure you install the x11-wm/compiz-fusion meta-port and then either use compiz-manager & or compiz --replace ccp & to start compiz with the ccp plugin.

Of course, make sure you use ccsm to enable the appropriate plugins (move, resize, decoration, etc.)

Adam

adamk said:
compiz --replace & launches compiz without any plugins. Make sure you install the x11-wm/compiz-fusion meta-port and then either use compiz-manager & or compiz --replace ccp & to start compiz with the ccp plugin.

Of course, make sure you use ccsm to enable the appropriate plugins (move, resize, decoration, etc.)

Adam

Here's what I have currently installed:

Code:
(lebel@ozone) ~
[20][0]$ pkg_info |grep compiz 
compiz-0.8.4_8      Compiz Composite/Window Manager
compiz-bcop-0.8.4   Code generator for Compiz Fusion Plugins
compiz-fusion-0.8.4_2 Metaport of compiz-fusion
compiz-plugins-extra-0.8.4_5 Plugins for Compiz Composite Window Manager
compiz-plugins-main-0.8.4_4 Plugins for Compiz Composite Window Manager
compiz-plugins-unsupported-0.8.4_4 Plugins for Compiz Composite Window Manager
compizconfig-backend-gconf-0.8.4_3 The gconf backend for CompizConfig
compizconfig-python-0.8.4_3 Python bindings for the compizconfig library
libcompizconfig-0.8.4_6 An alternative configuration system for Compiz

(lebel@ozone) ~
[20][0]$

And as for the two ways to invoke compiz, both ends up doing the same thing.

You have to open ccsm and enable Window Decoration under Effects. I recommend using gtk-window-decorator over emerald if you have both installed. Emerald is obsolete and left over from the Beryl project and doesn't integrate well into the GNOME/MATE desktop. compiz-manager will always start Emerald over gtk-window-decorator if Emerald is installed, even if compiz is configured otherwise.

It is wierd. Cause now, I'm able to use gtk-window-decorator but still no compiz effects seems to stick. Like the window wobbly one or anything that has to do with animations...

Is it possible for any of you to make a "minimal" good ccsm config that I could import into compiz?

For reference, the result of running compiz --replace & with the ccsm setting enable for Window Decoration (it's in French, you can get it, I guess :))

OK, now I can see window decoration, can use the minimize, close and others, but I can't move the windows...?

adamk said:
Did you enable the move plugin?

Yes. I did. If I only do compiz --replace ccp & I get windows without borders. I have to do a gtk-window-decorator --replace & afterward.

Now it seems to mostly work. It seems a bit awkward. I don't remember having to go thru all those hoops with other distros. Do I have to script the compiz --replace ccp and gtk-window-decorator --replace in my startup items?

Use compiz-manager as a startup item and it will start both. It will start emerald instead of gtk-window-decorator, though, if you have emerald installed.

Back