Is ZFS really better than...

zfs great for features but for real world production use on a i/o heavy server I think its bad news.

Plus if you do zfs on root which i initially thought was the right way to go you cant add devices later to the pool as well as not able to use a seperate device for log.

A huge ever growing metadata cache that can be saturated simply by listing large dirs with 100k or so of files inside, the auto tuning of 'vfs.zfs.arc_meta_limit' goes to a very low value, but even when I tuned it to several gigs it was saturated within 24 hours.

Of some of the upsides tho even with server crashes even zfs related crashes (many zfs crashes) I have yet to find any corrupt data. Never needed something like fsck either.

However remember when I tried fbsd 9's default ufs+suj setup and having corrupted database files, a slow but stable filesystem even if really slow is always superior to a filesystem that has inconsistent data. so zfs in my view is a superior choice to the default choice in fbsd9.

chrcol said:
zfs great for features but for real world production use on a i/o heavy server I think its bad news.

Plus if you do zfs on root which i initially thought was the right way to go you cant add devices later to the pool as well as not able to use a seperate device for log.

If you're referring to the notice you get when trying to add a vdev or log device to the root pool, then you probably forgot to temporarily clear the bootfs property. I believe this is a Solarism because the FreeBSD booting process does not really care about how the root pool is laid out.

chrcol said:
A huge ever growing metadata cache that can be saturated simply by listing large dirs with 100k or so of files inside, the auto tuning of 'vfs.zfs.arc_meta_limit' goes to a very low value, but even when I tuned it to several gigs it was saturated within 24 hours.

Isn't a saturated cache with the most often used data a good thing? What are the hit/miss statistics after a nice period of operation?

Back