Solved Is this a problem with the wget package, my system, or me?

I inserted some line breaks (marked with \) to make this easier to read on the forum:

Code:
# pkg install wget
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking integrity...Assertion failed: (pkgdb_ensure_loaded(j->db, p2, \
PKG_LOAD_FILES|PKG_LOAD_DIRS) == EPKG_OK), function \
pkg_conflicts_need_conflict, file pkg_jobs_conflicts.c, line 211.
Child process pid=71669 terminated abnormally: Abort trap
#

I just tried the same command with another package (p5-DBD-mysql), and had no problems. I actually see this exact same error for wget on two different 10.1-RELEASE servers (one amd64 and one i386). I'm at pkg-1.4.0 (according to pkg info).

If it was something mixed up in the packages installed or I needed to install something first, I would expect a more expressive error message - this is an assertion failure which makes me wonder if it's a bug.

On the other hand, well, I'd put my money on the FreeBSD maintainers over my sysadmin skills...

I've that same error combined with the "wrong architecture" (recent) one so am very stuck, without anything other than plain portupgrade and ports, no packages machine > machine nor from upstream. Until a fix found here or upstream.

I ran into similar with wireshark and emerald installs just now, same
Code:
Checking integrity...Assertion failed: (pkgdb_ensure_loaded(j->db, p2, \
PKG_LOAD_FILES|PKG_LOAD_DIRS) == EPKG_OK), function \
pkg_conflicts_need_conflict, file pkg_jobs_conflicts.c, line 211.
Child process pid=71669 terminated abnormally: Abort trap
but different PID of course.

The issue is a conflict between a new dependency and an older one already installed. I was fortunate enough to discover in the case of these two pkg install ... failures that the suspect was the replacement of gettext-0.18.3.1_1 with gettext-runtime-0.19.3 because my errors at least managed to pkg add the already-downloaded file which revealed the culprit since it was in /var/cache/pkgs.

If you check that directory for the install that you wanted, and it is there, trying pkg add ... on the file in question will reveal the actual conflict.

(FreeBSD geezer moment warning!) I've been with FreeBSD since the 4.x versions and I'm saddened at the deprecation of the old pkg_ tools. Sure they were clunky and old and tired and all, but if you replaced a dependency, it had this really neat way of letting you quickly rebuild all packages' dependencies once you replaced a dependency package. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that with PKGNG without having to go all poudriere on it and all sorts of other nonsense. Saddens me to see so many Linuxisms of "not ready for prime time" changes for the sake of change replacing what always worked reliably.

pkg 1.4.0 replaced what was to me, a perfectly fine 1.3.8 and suddenly I find myself stopped cold on a project.

Now that I've figured out what caused that in my case though, wanted to point out how to at least pursue the insects until 1.4.0_1 or whatever. My own attitude at the moment though is when I am presented with
Code:
pkg must be upgraded
I will hit that N key so hard and fast that I'll need a new keyboard until I see how it works for other, less mission-critical users first. (grin)

Grrrrr.

One last thought for the developer (who I know is working hard on this). The code in pkg add reveals the issue. Perhaps, copy that code over to pkg install when it encounters a conflict and everybody can be happy.

Even better (wish I had a copy of pkg_ around, I could remember the function that would go through all of the packages and update dependencies when they've been changed), if anyone can turn me on to the trick with PKGNG, it would be extremely appreciated!

Code:
pkg install sdl_net 
The following 4 packages will be affected (of 0 checked): 
New packages to be INSTALLED: 
w3m: 0.5.3_4 Conflicts with w3m-img 
linux_base-f10: 10_9 deinstalled already 
porteasy: 2.8.5 deinstalled already 
Installed packages to be UPGRADED: 
sdl_net: 1.2.8_2 -> 1.2.8_3 
The process will require 136 MB more space. 
14 kB to be downloaded. 
Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y Fetching sdl_net-1.2.8_3.txz: 
Fetching sdl_net-1.2.8_3.txz: 100% 
14 kB 14.4k/s 00:01 
Checking integrity...Assertion failed: (pkgdb_ensure_loaded(j->db, p2, PKG_LOAD_FILES|PKG_LOAD_DIRS) == EPKG_OK), function pkg_conflicts_need_conflict, file pkg_jobs_conflicts.c, line 211. Child process pid=2990 terminated abnormally: Abort trap: 6 

pkg add sdl_net-1.2.8_3-4c23cf30d4.txz 
Installing sdl_net-1.2.8_3... pkg: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:9:i386 instead of freebsd:9:x86:32 
Failed to install the following 1 package(s): sdl_net-1.2.8_3-4c23cf30d4.txz 
Script done on Sat Dec 13 19:47:26 2014
I'm patiently waiting for the two or more fixes... so I re-read the wiki, FAQ, handbook...
not only is fix documentation not yet present, but statements of "what is pkgng" are with these bugs somewhat not true [yet].
Aside from the actual fixes, I am wondering if pkg development could be removed from the ports tree, and its importance elevated to higher than it is already, so more resources could be put to fixing all sorts of errors BEFORE release of code. I see it as more relevant to the usefulness of FreeBSD than ZFS development, new kernel features, etc. OTOH I only know what I read from the lists, and for all I know all is missing is editing a file or two a a few lines of code somewhere.

I think we've have already established that your entirely atypical use of ports and packages, interspersed with countless manual exceptions and overrides, is to blame for the errors you're encountering, jb_fvwm2 .. Why you keep putting the blame on mechanisms that are working for countless others who do play by the rules and manuals is beyond me. I maintain that it is very misleading, not to say going against the intended helpfulness of these forums, to keep presenting your problems as typical.

Please be sure to use the latest version of pkg (1.4.0 at the time of this writing) and "${ABI}" in your repository configuration instead of setting the ABI manually. If the problem still persists and you can't find someone here to help you, you might consider creating a bug report at http://github.com/FreeBSD/pkg

I'm seeing this same error trying to install graphics/ImageMagick-nox11
Code:
# pkg install ImageMagick-nox11
Checking integrity...Assertion failed: (pkgdb_ensure_loaded(j->db, p2, PKG_LOAD_FILES|PKG_LOAD_DIRS) == EPKG_OK), function pkg_conflicts_need_conflict, file pkg_jobs_conflicts.c, line 211.
Child process pid=49558 terminated abnormally: Abort trap

Code:
# pkg --version

pkg install gettext
OMG that solved my problem too! Took 2 iterations because of some conflict but all automatically fixed.
Was trying to install smokeping...

Back