Is there a Graphics Card compatibility list for FreeBSD 13.2 somewhere

I’m particularly interested in AMD cards, but it seems like it would be a generally useful thing to have.

Currently, DRM drivers aren't part of FreeBSD base but available as a separate port/package: graphics/drm-kmod. This automatically installs the version recommended for your FreeBSD version, for 13.x it is graphics/drm-510-kmod. Have a look there and you kind of have your answer: It's the code from Linux 5.10, so anything supported on Linux 5.10 will be supported on FreeBSD 13.x.

There is a page in the wiki for AMD

Not sure if it's updated regularly, if I am not mistaken the RX 6900 & RX 6800 are supported as well now but there are not present in the list yet, but apart from that it gives us a good overview of what is supported by FreeBSD, at least for AMD.

Not sure if it's updated regularly
This page is wildly out of date, just have a look at its history: with the exception of one card added to the list in 2022, the whole content dates back to 2018. While models listed there should still work, it's definitely not a good reference to check whether recent hardware is supported.

This page is wildly out of date, just have a look at its history: with the exception of one card added to the list in 2022, the whole content dates back to 2018. While models listed there should still work, it's definitely not a good reference to check whether recent hardware is supported.
It looks like it misses few references indeed, the last 4 years.

Knowing that FreeBSD supports drivers from linux 5.10, this page https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU is usable to find what AMD graphics card is supported.
How do we know which kernel this page refers to ?
For me it only lists the cards supported by amdgpu but may be I missed the point, I am not a Gentoo user.

In the table under "Feature support" you see a list of cards with footnotes. Most footnotes mentions minimum linux kernel versions.
From that list (and posts in this forum), it looks like the RX6*00 series is not supported yet.
I use an RX5600 card and it works fine.

FWIW, graphics/drm-515-kmod recently appeared (based on Linux 5.15), but so far it only works on 14-CURRENT. This is most likely because of additional things required in the FreeBSD kernel's "linuxkpi" (in-kernel Linux-compatible interface) that aren't available on the 13-branches yet. I can't tell whether they might appear in later 13.x versions....

In the table under "Feature support" you see a list of cards with footnotes. Most footnotes mentions minimum linux kernel versions.
Ha yes thank you I missed it.

I don't think the Gentoo wiki page is 100% accurate for FreeBSD because:
Knowing that FreeBSD supports drivers from linux 5.10
Navi (RX 5500, RX 5500 XT, RX 5600, RX 5600 XT, RX 5700, RX 5700 XT) Requires at least kernel 5.3
But you said yourself that you have a working RX 5600 card.

From that list (and posts in this forum), it looks like the RX6*00 series is not supported yet.

DCN 3.0 (RX 6600, RX 6600 XT, RX 6700, RX 6700 XT, RX 6800, RX 6800 XT, RX 6900 XT) RX 6*00 series since kernel 5.9.12
But there is at least one user currently using a RX 6900 XT card.

All in all it gives an idea of what's working for Linux, but for FreeBSD the situation looks a bit different, there are some exceptions it seems.

EDIT:
Sorry do not pay attention to this post, like bsduck said I got confused with 5.1 and 5.10
I let the post as it is.

I use an RX5600 card and it works fine.
RX 6700 XT, 6600 should be supported by now under FreeBSD's graphics/drm-kmod... But not 6500/6400. It is a bit of a pain to correlate driver names like navy_flounder or dimgrey_cavefish to GPU model names you see on the box. And - what are you doing dragging Linux in? FreeBSD has a pretty different way of setting up the GPU's, and Linux commands won't work.

All entries in the https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/AMD-GPU-Matrix except two are 5 years old (according to the info link on that page).
I believe most people looking for FreeBSD graphics support are looking for support for a newer card.
RX6700XT and 6600 are supported in drm-515-kmod which is only available in FreeBSD 14.
And the table is just for cross-referencing card with Linux kernel version to see if the available drm-kmod version supports it.

I eventually got it working. I have a Navi 23 (aka 6600XT aka DIMGREY CAVEFISH) and it does work with sway on 14-CURRENT with drm-515-kmod:

markspc kernel: [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (DIMGREY_CAVEFISH 0x1002:0x73FF 0x1458:0x2338 0xC1).

It looks like we need an updated list of working graphics. I am myself using a nvidia gtx-1080. But I consider upgrading. An updated list might be useful to many users.

I am normally not asking for others to do something. But this one is needed to ensure proper support

Back