Intel Alder and Raptor Lake support

When do you think that these architectures will be supported in FreeBSD?

Seems like OpenBSD does, even the iGPUs.

Also, how good is the support for the AMD equivalents?

Ok, I understand.

There was a Phoronix article where FreeBSD wouldn't even boot on Raptor Lake.

What makes you think they're not supported now?

Their iGPU might be an issue though, it largely depends on what's supported by the DRM kernel modules. Which, for 13.x-RELEASE versions, is depending on what Linux 5.10 supports, for -CURRENT it's 5.15.
I will normally receive the i3-13100F next week. I can then test how well this CPU works with FreeBSD, it's Raptor Lake. This specific model has no 'efficient cores', it only has 'performance cores'. It also doesn't have an iGPU (no Intel UHD Graphics 730). It seems to me that this Raptor Lake CPU might already work well with FreeBSD 14.

Does FreeBSD support DDR5 RAM @ 6000 MHz?

With FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE intel 12-gen, alderlake is supported with e-cores enabled. And it is running very well on my i7-12700K system. I am not using intel graphics though

I use an alderlake "12th Gen Intel i5-12400 (12) @ 5.600GHz" & freebsd is working fine.
The i5-12400F is also a CPU I'm considering. I mainly do browsing and lightweight productivity apps (and rarely gaming) with the CPU. The i5-12400F is 4.46% faster in gaming and 3% faster in browsing, but it is also 45% more expensive. For my use the price/performance ratio is less optimal. The 12400F is significantly faster in multi-core performance. The support for multithreading in consumer software has improved over the years but for many simple programs, multithreading support is still not implemented due to the complexity of the software build. Perhaps the extra multi-core performance can be useful if apps become slower in the future because more apps are written in Rust, JS and Python. So I'm not sure which of the two I should choose at the moment but it's going to be either the 13100F or the 12400F. I already have a motherboard and DDR5 RAM so I can't go for AMD anymore which I don't want either because Microsoft Pluton is integrated in it.

Also the audio.
That's good to hear.
What has an impact on sound is the REALTEK codec and the implementation of the codec.
My motherboard has the ALC897 codec which is not considered a high quality codec but the implementation of the codec is more important than the codec itself.
What I mean is that how your motherboard implements the sound usually has more impact on sound quality than the codec itself.

It is a Biostar motherboard and according to a Swiss retailer they do not have a good warranty score:

I doubt the correctness and usefulness of this Swiss retailer's statistics because a French retailer thought in 2016 and 2017 that ASRock had excellent statistics here:

The figures of this Swiss retailer are significantly higher for all brands, which raises the question of whether one of the two has simply published incorrect figures.

The number of hours i do compilation drove me to more "cores".
I you don't do many hours of compilation you can go for less "cores".
My MB is an "MSI PRO H610M-G DDR4 (MS-7D46)"

The number of hours i do compilation drove me to more "cores".
I you don't do many hours of compilation you can go for less "cores".
I will choose the 13100F. I think it will be enough for me. I know all the apps that are the most lightweight and I hardly use any heavy apps with the exception of games. The 13100F performs much higher than necessary for the light 1080p games I sometimes play.

Whether the 12400F or the 13100F will be faster for browsing may be mainly determined by the RAM speed.
A 13100F with RAM at 7200 MHz might surf faster than a 12400F with RAM at 2400 MHz.

If you look up the 13100F in the link above, you will see that it scores higher in the most realistic browser benchmark (WebXPRT 4) than the 12400F and the AMD 5600X.
The 13100F result is also newer, so that also explains the difference.
It seems to me that the 13100F with fast RAM can beat both the 12400F and 5600X if the latter use slower RAM.

I don't think browsing speed difference will be visible with the naked eye. Probably it will depend more on network latency & webserver technology. Maybe a difference can be seen playing games in high resolution, playing videos in high resolution or doing intensive compilation tasks.

I don't think browsing speed difference will be visible with the naked eye. Probably it will depend more on network latency & webserver technology. Maybe a difference can be seen playing games in high resolution, playing videos in high resolution or doing intensive compilation tasks.

In gameplay with a GPU the CPU is more taxed at lower resolutions (because the framerate goes up).

Currently unbelievable:

OpenBSD 7.3 on Gen12
executable without adjustment by default with x

It's never been so easy.

If you look at this website you can easily compare the two CPUs:
You can see that the 13100F is 3% faster in single thread, and the 12400 is 27.8% faster in multi threading.
JavaScript engine runs on a V8 engine that has a memory heap and a call stack.
JavaScript is single threaded which means only one statement is executed at a time. JavaScript will run faster on the 13100F.
WebAssembly can run multiple threads at the same time, but much of the web's WebAssembly code is currently single-threaded.
Both CPUs should be about the same speed in web browsing right now.
Surfing is what I do 80% of the time and I also use a lot of web apps so if they are just as fast at this then it seems I should go for the cheaper version.

If you use a midrange card, the difference for 1080p gaming will be rather small:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87917VwSAl8

164/157=1.0446
The difference is less than 5% for 1080p + RX 6650 XT and differences less than 10% are said to be mostly unnoticeable.
At 1440p the difference is 6.55 percent which is still not a noticeable difference.

You will see the differences more clearly during compilation and rendering.
Compiling ZFS is actually quite fast on my 11 year old dual-core CPU and I try to limit myself to compiling the apps/software that compile quickly.

OpenBSD 7.3 on Gen12
executable without adjustment by default with x

It's never been so easy.

What performance does your Intel Gen12 CPU get in WebXPRT 4 on OpenBSD?

I am currently doing a hardware upgrade to increase my surfing performance by a factor of +- x 2.1
By using OpenBSD I'm probably going to cut my performance in half, completely negating any extra performance from the hardware upgrade.

So we're not going to do that.

If you look at this website you can easily compare the two CPUs:
You can see that the 13100F is 3% faster in single thread, and the 12400 is 27.8% faster in multi threading.
JavaScript engine runs on a V8 engine that has a memory heap and a call stack.
JavaScript is single threaded which means only one statement is executed at a time. JavaScript will run faster on the 13100F.
WebAssembly can run multiple threads at the same time, but much of the web's WebAssembly code is currently single-threaded.
Both CPUs should be about the same speed in web browsing right now.
Surfing is what I do 80% of the time and I also use a lot of web apps so if they are just as fast at this then it seems I should go for the cheaper version.

If you use a midrange card, the difference for 1080p gaming will be rather small:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87917VwSAl8

164/157=1.0446
The difference is less than 5% for 1080p + RX 6650 XT and differences less than 10% are said to be mostly unnoticeable.
At 1440p the difference is 6.55 percent which is still not a noticeable difference.

You will see the differences more clearly during compilation and rendering.
Compiling ZFS is actually quite fast on my 11 year old dual-core CPU and I try to limit myself to compiling the apps/software that compile quickly.

What performance does your Intel Gen12 CPU get in WebXPRT 4 on OpenBSD?

I am currently doing a hardware upgrade to increase my surfing performance by a factor of +- x 2.1
By using OpenBSD I'm probably going to cut my performance in half, completely negating any extra performance from the hardware upgrade.

So we're not going to do that.
OpenBSD 7.3

For me so far everything is absolutely razor sharp.

OpenBSD 7.3

For me so far everything is absolutely razor sharp.
What CPU are you using specifically?

Can you do me a favor and run the following test in Firefox or Chromium, with all other apps closed:

OpenBSD 7.3 GENERIC.MP#1125 amd64
cpu: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1240P, 4390.64 MHz
2x : 16GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-25600 SO-DIMM.
Iridium: Version 2023.03.111.0 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Anybody using the iGPU of their Alder / Raptor Lake CPU? I want to use it for transcoding so was wondering if anyone is using it (with drm-515-kmod, only supported on CURRENT right now).

Iridium: Version 2023.03.111.0 (Official Build) (64-bit).
You probably use Iridium for added security, but it has been said in the past that Iridium may ultimately be less secure than other browsers:

Iridium is one of the worst options you can choose as it massively worsens the browser's exploit mitigations. For example, it switches to GCC as the default compiler (for no apparent reason) which disables a host of important mitigations such as Clang's forward-edge CFI, automatic variable initialization, etc.
https://github.com/iridium-browser/iridium-browser/commit/88880d192e8e1d1f94c2b1c1168c12dde76a1669

Iridium is also quite far behind on security patches and the developers blatantly lie about the security issues present in the browser.

https://github.com/iridium-browser/tracker/issues/274#issuecomment-629210956

You probably use Iridium for added security, but it has been said in the past that Iridium may ultimately be less secure than other browsers:

Iridium is one of the worst options you can choose as it massively worsens the browser's exploit mitigations. For example, it switches to GCC as the default compiler (for no apparent reason) which disables a host of important mitigations such as Clang's forward-edge CFI, automatic variable initialization, etc.
https://github.com/iridium-browser/iridium-browser/commit/88880d192e8e1d1f94c2b1c1168c12dde76a1669

Iridium is also quite far behind on security patches and the developers blatantly lie about the security issues present in the browser.

https://github.com/iridium-browser/tracker/issues/274#issuecomment-629210956
Thanks for the hint

What would you recommend ?

Thanks for the hint

What would you recommend ?
It depends on whether you are mainly looking for privacy or security. Which of the two do you think is more important or are they equally important?

There are some interesting browsers that unfortunately won't be available on OpenBSD.

The above options mainly focus on privacy, ad blocking and tracker blocking.
What should work perfectly is that you use Chromium with uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger.

Also good for privacy is using Tor optimally in combination with a VPN. But for me Tor is really slow and annoying to use and many things don't work optimally if you set a higher security profile in Tor because many content is blocked.

Pale Moon does not contain suspicious privacy-invading software and extensions, it is run by a privacy-oriented non-profit organization and it has robust security.

If you want security, Firefox is fine.

Something that might be safe is the Nyxt browser. Since very few people use it, very few exploits will be developed for it.
The browser is written almost entirely in Common Lisp, and 97% of programmers who develop exploits know 0.000% of Common Lisp.
In the past, people have successfully installed Nyxt on FreeBSD.
You then get something similar to very high security through obscurity.

Back