1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing GNU Octave, version 3.2.4

Discussion in 'Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages' started by ravi, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ravi

ravi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was installing "octave" on FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0 with # pkg_add -r octave and the installation stops failing to fetch pdflib package stating that package file related to pdflib does not exist.

After lot of search on the net and FreeBSD form, I gathered that I had no choice but to get PDFLib source from the folowing site. http://www.pdflib.com/binaries/PDFlib/705/PDFlib-Lite-7.0.5.tar.gz. This lite version is free for non-commercial use.

Subsequently it was relatively straightforward to compile the source tar ball and install the libraries. The package installs /usr/local/lib/libpdf.so.6 shared library along with other static versions.

After this installation subsequent # pkg_add -r octave completed successfully without the need for pdflib-7.0.4 dependency.

Now I have a working GNU Octave, version 3.2.4 with one niggly problem. Any plot command
    from octave was failing (gracefully:) telling me that it was looking for libpdf.so.8.

I made a symbolic link with # ln -s /usr/local/lib/libpdf.so.6 /usr/local/lib/libpdf.so.6. And now I have a working "octave" application. I know this is a kludge.

Perhaps some one can benefit from my work around and others can suggest a more appropriate method.