Installing GNU Octave, version 3.2.4

I was installing "octave" on FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0 with # pkg_add -r octave and the installation stops failing to fetch pdflib package stating that package file related to pdflib does not exist.

After lot of search on the net and FreeBSD form, I gathered that I had no choice but to get PDFLib source from the folowing site. http://www.pdflib.com/binaries/PDFlib/705/PDFlib-Lite-7.0.5.tar.gz. This lite version is free for non-commercial use.

Subsequently it was relatively straightforward to compile the source tar ball and install the libraries. The package installs /usr/local/lib/libpdf.so.6 shared library along with other static versions.

After this installation subsequent # pkg_add -r octave completed successfully without the need for pdflib-7.0.4 dependency.

Now I have a working GNU Octave, version 3.2.4 with one niggly problem. Any plot command
from octave was failing (gracefully:) telling me that it was looking for libpdf.so.8.

I made a symbolic link with # ln -s /usr/local/lib/libpdf.so.6 /usr/local/lib/libpdf.so.6. And now I have a working "octave" application. I know this is a kludge.

Perhaps some one can benefit from my work around and others can suggest a more appropriate method.

Back