Installing FreeBSD 2.2.9-RELEASE on a virtual machine

I have some old a.out FreeBSD binaries that I don't have the source for, that are running on a very old PII system that could fail any day. I would like to move them over to some new hardware, but FreeBSD 2.2.8 does not support modern hardware. So I figured that I could install FreeBSD 2.2.9-RELEASE under some form of virtual machine to solve the problem. I have tried Virtualbox, VMware Fusion on a Mac, Parallels on a Mac, and none of them will install FreeBSD 2.2.9 properly. Fusion worked the best, but it won't provide a network adapter that FreeBSD 2.2.9 can recognize.

Has anyone successfully managed to run FreeBSD 2.2.8 or 2.2.9 on a virtual machine reliably? I don't care what the host OS is, I will use whatever works well.

Have you tried emulators/qemu with uhh . . . (digs around for a moment) -net nic,model=ne2k_isa? That should be the one that literally everything in the universe has drivers for, if anything.

Honestly, I could never get anything earlier than 5.x to see the qemu hard drives correctly, but that may be been my boneheadedness.

edit: Well, it seems to work, kind of. Wow, the disks are sloooooow, though.

I believe you can run a.out binaries on 8.x. Just compile a custom kernel with COMPAT_AOUT and you should be good to go. You will likely need the shared libraries and what have you from your 2.2.9 release, but the image format is still supported.

Back