Installation of ports with lots of dependencies

Dear colleagues!

Please, explain me how to install ports with lots of dependencies... For example, I want to install VirtualBox. If to install it with default options - it won't install guest additions and support of x64 OSes. If to config it manually there will be lots of dependent packages to config. I don't know if I should config them manually or I should leave the configs deafult...

Please, tell me how do you install such programs? Is it necessary to investigate all the dependent ports or there is some easier way?

You can configure VirtualBox along with all its dependencies:
Code:
# make config-recursive
# make install clean

... or just configure VirtualBox options and then build all dependencies with their default options:
Code:
# make config
# make BATCH=yes install clean

vist said:
Please, tell me how do you install such programs?
Just use the default options. Only turn on options if you know and understand what they do.

Just use the default options

I don't think that it is good idea... When I installed VirtualBox with default options, there were no guest additions! But I need them!

When I installed KDE4 with default options the players did not support some audio and video formats.

So, you advice me to investigate the port, I am going to install, completely, right?

Back