Install FreeBSD 9 over CentOS 6

Dear colleagues!

Please help me to find out how to solve the problem:

1. CURRENT: GRUB + CentOS 6 + Windows 7 on it
2. WANTED: FreeBSD 9 + Windows 7

I want to install FreeBSD over CentOS. When I try to do this in a snandard way, FreeBSD does not install its own boot loader. I cannot boot any system. I can only see GRUB command line prompt.

At the moment I have recovered my system configuration to step 1.

I cannot understand:
- Why wasn't FreeBSD boot loader installed over GRUB?
- How to install FreeBSD 9 over current configuration with its native boot loader or with currently installed GRUB?

My advice, after install use Windows 7's installation media to intall Windows's bootloader. You can then configure it to load FreeBSD also.

I actually had a similar problem a while ago when I wanted to install Ubuntu and Windows 7. Im not sure Im correct but I belive is depends on which of the OS you install first.

Well, if to install FreeBSD 8 over any other system, its' installer askes you what boot loader do you want to install. FreeBSD 9 installer doesn't ask this question. So, I can't understand where I can configure the boot loader.

I can also configure GRUB to load FreeBSD, but it seems to me to be incorrect. I think FreeBSD 9 should allow to configure boot loader during installation, shouldn't it?

Back