HOW TO: Flash10 plugin, Firefox3 and FreeBSD 7.2 or higher

I think they should all show up in [cmd=]pkg_info | grep f8[/cmd], and they should probably all be caught with a # pkg-delete -f linux-f8\* plus a separate # pkg-delete linux_base-f8\*.

Well, i did a reboot , and now it s working great :)
So i supposed it has something to do with modules already loaded that had to be reloaded (Matrix inside :) )

Today something has failed.

Today i installed fbsd on my old toshiba satellite lapto, and got everything working, but not the flashplayer for the linux-f10 found at /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10. So i have done this before on my desktop without problems, all was installed successfull.

But when i do nspluginwrapper -v -i /path/to/flash/lib i got this..

Code:
[flx@ph33t ~]$ nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so 
ELF binary type "0" not known.
/usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

so any ideas?

I have installed flashplugin on FBSD7.2-64bit on opteron that still works fine.
I also installed flashplugin-10 on FBSD7.2-32bit on Intel p4 and it worked great until I updated ports. Since, I have tried almost all variants to be found in manual, google & what have you - delete all linux ports & files follow instructions above... just no way to make it work again... the latest- "Shared object "libdl.so.2" not found - required. The files exists in 2 locations but ln -s does not (Where in hell should it be put?) I doubt that that would work either. Nspluginwrapper when run with -v -a -i does not even look in the napapi(or something like that) directory... so that doesn't look right... I have basically given up on it. But I guess I'm a glutton for punishment (or is it frustration)
Anybody wise enought to figure this out...

solved - sort of...

How? Don't ask; I don't know...
I deinstalled linux emulator f10, reinstalled - tried nsplauginwrapper -v -a -i; disn't work
then checked the firefox3 plugin directory: onle the default plugin was there; copied libflashplayer to that directory, and did the ln -s /usr/compat/linux/npapi/nsplugin.flashplayer.so into the same directory then ran nspluginwrapper -v -i(note, no -a) and now it works...
did this on two disks with same setup and can't repeat exactly how or why, but it works... I did so many different tries that my brain is fried... hope I don't have to go through this again...x(

Doesn't work on 8.0 RELEASE AMD64

Hello, people,

I'd like to first thanx for the help and instructions :)
Well, it doesn't work on the 8.0 release, using the f10-base.
The handbook-described way brings one up to the install of
linux base-f10, but no further.

Nsplugin wrapper crashes because of pango :
Code:
> ===>  linux-f10-pango 1.22.3 has known vulnerabilities:
> => pango -- integer overflow.
> => Please update your ports tree and try again.
> *** Error code 1

i have installed linux opera and linuxflashplugin7 in PCBSD. It working fine. As linux flash 7 is outdated . i need to install the linux-flashplugin 10 . browsing through the thread i understood that the command

Code:
  cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 && make install clean

where f10 is the Fedora linux layer. will this command work for PCBSD 7.1.1
How to know the version of Fedora linux layer. Please help.

For PC-BSD 7x

From the official FreeBSD-Handbook :

#
1.Under FreeBSD 7.X
Install the www/nspluginwrapper port. This port requires
emulators/linux_base-fc4 which is a large port.
The next step is to install the www/linux-flashplugin9 port.
This will install Flash 9.X, this version is known to run
correctly under FreeBSD 7.X.

Note: On FreeBSD versions older than FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE you
have to install www/linux-flashplugin7 and skip the linprocfs(5)
part below.

in some place I learned the wonderfull hint:
Code:
opera -debugplugin
afterall the bug in
linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r32.tbz
was discovered:
this port, and package doesnt require
linux-f10-glib2###.tbz
package
althou many other of
linux-f10-** stuff
-- does
I pkg_add it and linux-opera FINALY found! some plugins
and they work fine.

Now I wonder: If opera (not linux-opera, whish is more uptodate (10.10 vs 10.01 in freebsd variant)) would work fine also...?

[offtop] Which opera is better on bsd desktop?

yup dutch daemon is right on that one. you should always really only use one linux emulation layer to avoid conflict. Remove all remnants first before applying this trick. The original tut was written with 8.0 BETA in mind when it was still pretty fresh. I will install the new 8.0 from scratch and re write if neccessary the original post to avoid anymore misinformation.

sorry ive been away for soo long guys and havnt had any input into this how to for some time. I'm well and truly back into the FREEBSD environment full time now as my alltime favourite OS and want to ensure that all those who want/need these multimedia features can use them at will. Unfortunately as my career involves much audio work the OS has had to take the back burner for a while due to lack of midi, synth and recording software.. which i intend to rectify very soon indeed.

I couldnt install flash plugin 10 for my Firefox 3.5.5. I already followed all the steps without any error, but still Flash 10 wont install for me. Any idea how to solve this issue?

This solved my problem:

Code:
cd /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins && ln -s /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

Somehow nspluginwrapper wont register my plugin

Flash 10 in FreeBSD 8 is very stable, at least as the port itself is concerned. Flash per se, as Vermaden mentioned, is quiet a different story.

the only problem i have with flash is it tends to lock up firefox for ~10 seconds every once in a while. i can deal with that... beggers cant be choosers.

LateNiteTV said:
the only problem i have with flash is it tends to lock up firefox for ~10 seconds every once in a while. i can deal with that... beggers cant be choosers.

Sure it's not this?

Back