Solved How to check if xy.z-Stable needs update?

So, last week I moved from 13.2-Release-p1 to 13.2-Stable following the Handbook during the process. Everything went easily and smooth. I just have one question.

The handbook explain about the N-number and how to check it locally. Is there a way to check if my /usr/src needs update without running git pull or git status every time? Like getting the repos N-Number using curl for example.

Rule number 1 of -STABLE and -CURRENT. It always has updates. They're perpetually out of date.

How often you should update depends on your usage. I usually update my -STABLE systems at least once but typically twice a month. If I'm working on something it might be more often. Packages are updated nearly constantly. My build server usually runs updated builds back to back, it's rarely idling.

Rule number 1 of -STABLE and -CURRENT. It always has updates. They're perpetually out of date.

How often you should update depends on your usage. I usually update my -STABLE systems at least once but typically twice a month. If I'm working on something it might be more often. Packages are updated nearly constantly. My build server usually runs updated builds back to back, it's rarely idling.
Thanks mate, I think I will keep upgrading my ports every week, but the OS I will move the upgrade process to once every month.

but the OS I will move the upgrade process to once every month.
Good plan. In the meantime just keep an eye on the commit logs through the web interface. If you spot something interesting (a certain bug fix or new feature) that might be a reason to fetch the updated source a bit sooner. Reading the commit logs helps to keep track of new developments too :D

Back