How to build your own BSD distribution?

Sendmail (as in the fully featured MTA) and not sendmail (the de facto standard unix interface calling whatever binary you have specified in mailer.conf(5)) is complete overkill for most of the installations, and those who really need it can install it from ports.
Yes, the de facto standard. It's super in my opinion.

I don't know but would it be cool to attract new users to FreeBSD ?
So whats the plan ? Linux has some fabulous distros that only by their themes someone would be tempted to try using them.
Do you think a simple user would start installing FreeBSD , you need to know some stuff first to install it , there is GhostBSD which is a nice project but a simple mate desktop won't
lure many people, also they load everything in a compressed zfs pool in ram so it is limited by default.
My idea when i did my experiments was that you don't need to load everything in ram most of the stuff you can have it as a uzip after all its a live image everything will be lost and will be limited
by the ram its not like you will install many apps.
When i was first learning freebsd i did this noobish project i should use zfs it would be even better , there are some videos still on youtube from some channels:

is complete overkill for most of the installations
It is a small program, but disturbs because it is a full MTA. Better a bloated, to the absolute minimum reduced
MTA, that would not disturb anyone.

It is the same logic of LINUX distributions not showing boot messages from device probing, they disturb.

It is a small program
It isn't (you are not looking at /usr/sbin/mailwrapper size, are you?).
but disturbs because it is a full MTA
It "disturbs" because there are better alternatives for mail agent that just delivers local mail.
Better a bloated, to the absolute minimum reduced
MTA, that would not disturb anyone.
Can't parse that, sorry.
It is the same logic of LINUX distributions not showing boot messages from device probing, they disturb.
Yes, and you apply the same logic when calling Sendmail small.

It isn't (you are not looking at /usr/sbin/mailwrapper size, are you?).
The whole unpacked source distribution, with everything there, including 603KB documentation, has 6.8MB.

It "disturbs" because there are better alternatives for mail agent that just delivers local mail.
And why you think only local mail is necessary?

I installed one 386BSD on a very old laptop with less that 4 MB, there were everything.
And I think MTA as DNS servers belong to the base distribution.

The problem is that some ideological, fanatical purists are imposing their views.

I use FBSD for my NAS.
It has no need of DNS.
I do use use the embedded MTA to send a daily status report to my email address.

I don't know but would it be cool to attract new users to FreeBSD ?
with RedHat going closed source, and half-assed Linux Distros popping up right and left (and main differentiator seems to be pink-tinted DE themes), FreeBSD is actually getting lots of attention. But people just pop by the Discord server, get told "No, you can't control RGB backlight on your gaming keyboard", and leave.

Occasionally, on Discord, I run into ppl who would rather pay attention to licenses of different components than learn about the features of software that is actually available on FreeBSD. Even big distros for whom licensing does matter - even they end up struggling with getting the ducks (licensing terms, useful features, and technical compatibility with existing stuff, and let's not forget the dependency hell that we all know about and love!) in a row. These struggles get resolved differently, depending on the distro.

I think that a good playbook for this scenario would be to get good at SOMETHING that runs on FreeBSD, and then be actively involved in helping others solve their FreeBSD-related puzzles - and make sure everybody gets a place at the table. christhegeek should probably read the Intro thread (Thread introduce-yourself-tell-us-who-you-are-and-why-you-chose-freebsd.68079) sometime to get an idea of how/why people get attracted to FreeBSD.

I hate sendmail. The configuration syntax is bizarre. Nobody even needs sendmail. Let's remove sendmail.
Let's leave it alone... yeah, it's part of the base. If you want it, you can learn to use it. If not - leave it alone, it doesn't ask for attention from you, or ask you to feed it like a Tamagochi. I do like having sendmail around as an option. If you bother to learn the options and set it up so that it works for you, great. If not - no point complaining.

I do like having sendmail around as an option.
I think, the real problems with sendmail are

(1) license

(2) it is not usable today in the form it is in base, one must install cyrus sasl and recompile.

But perhaps cyrus sasl could become part of base ...

BSD = Berkeley Software Distribution. Of course, an operating system, but not only.

I like the idea to have "standard bsd software". If one likes an alternative, then can also use it.

As said, I think MTA and DNS server belong to it. Yes, "full MTA".

And I find most critics to sendmail baseless. I am running an MTA, I tried postfix and exim and gave up,
sendmail was easier to configure. Since it is so old, so old in BSD and not only, there is also a lot of
documentation in internet.

What have I done wrong?
Order of operations and how the shell interprets the line.

time script freebsd-buildworld_$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M").log "cd /usr/src && make buildworld"

Alternatively, you could pass the directory with -C:
time script freebsd-buildworld_$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M").log make -C /usr/src buildworld

Order of operations and how the shell interprets the line.

time script freebsd-buildworld_$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M").log "cd /usr/src && make buildworld"

Script started, output file is freebsd-buildworld_2308211103.log
script: cd /usr/src && make buildworld: No such file or directory

Script done, output file is freebsd-buildworld_2308211103.log
0.00 real 0.00 user 0.00 sys
root@X1:/ # ls -al /usr/src/Makefile
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 30321 May 12 2022 /usr/src/Makefile

This works:

cd /usr/src && time script freebsd-buildworld_$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M").log make buildworld

.... but the log gets created in /usr/src/ which isn't ideal so I'll add a full path to the logfile.

time script freebsd-buildworld_$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M").log sh -c 'cd /usr/src && make buildworld'
or
time script freebsd-buildworld_$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M").log make -C /usr/src buildworld

I think, the real problems with sendmail are

(1) license

(2) it is not usable today in the form it is in base, one must install cyrus sasl and recompile.
The license has never gotten in the way of anything and saying it's unusable because you need to install cyrus sasl and recompile is hardly a fact.

The license has never gotten in the way of anything
If it is BSD, should be BSD License, or not?

and saying it's unusable because you need to install cyrus sasl and recompile is hardly a fact.
Cyrus sasl is necessary for authentication. Well, if only users with account are allowed to send, it is not necessary.

But I think the theme is, if it is a "Software Distribution", or something more homogeneous. I think OpenBSD is going in the last direction, has its special components, all coherent.

Back