How old are you?

58, another old curmudgeon

In my day we didn't have any fancy GUI's and stuff like that. We did everything from the command line and we LIKED it!

I was so happy when I added to my 286 2MB of RAM...with 4 MB works like a rocket :).

roddierod said:
My 8088 XT had a turbo button to make it fly at 10Mhz!

I remember adding a daughter board containing an 8087 to my dual-processor (8085/8088) S-100 CP/M machine. And earlier using a Commodore Pet to solve some transient heat-conduction equations. That was painful. As was using punch cards!

DrJ said:
I remember adding a daughter board containing an 8087 to my dual-processor (8085/8088) S-100 CP/M machine. And earlier using a Commodore Pet to solve some transient heat-conduction equations. That was painful. As was using punch cards!

I used to dream of getting the 8087 co-processor but never got the money. I was using it to do calculation for electrical circuit design...I swear I could make the calculations faster by hand :)

SirDice said:
I feel old but thankfully not that old ;)

I actually used punch cards my first year of high school.

And look what happened to him .. Having said that, Tashlultum was a cutie.

I started writing code 35 years ago and used Unix variants exclusively for 30 of those.

I am glad to see so many other curmudgeons here.

Does anyone else remember this fondly, "773030 load start"?

JQuick said:
Does anyone else remember this fondly, "773030 load start"?
Nope, only nightmares about

Code:
LOAD

Press play on tape

load error..

DutchDaemon said:
I knew Morse!

The guy, not the code...nor the inspector.

I know the code because I'm a ham radio operator. I passed the morse code test a few months before they removed the requirement for code at all.

Back