How can I upgrade from FreeBSD 8.0 to FreeBSD 8.1?

Code:
freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.1-RELEASE
pkg_arr -r can't download from mirror.

echo $PACKAGEROOT doesn't display anything.

I don't want to upgrade from ports compiling every packages as i don't have disk space and time.
I want to download freebsd8.1 packages from mirror and install it.

Can anyone post complete command to do this or any specific link?

Wrong forum again. Is this about the base system or ports, poeple? Make up your mind.

It's so my non-existant baby elephant doesn't get tired cleaning my fictional Prius

cola said:
I do not use csh.
It's bash.

Then what to do?

I'm curious as to why you're using bash when you don't know how to use bash. That said, try editing your ~/.profile (I think. I never remember which is for login shells & which is for interactive, non-login shells. But I don't use bash, just like I don't have Toyota Prius*), & keep well in mind that bash and other sh(1)-derived monstrosities generally require you to "export".

*nor do I have a baby elephant to help me clean the Prius I don't have

fronclynne said:
I'm curious as to why you're using bash when you don't know how to use bash. That said, try editing your ~/.profile (I think. I never remember which is for login shells & which is for interactive, non-login shells. But I don't use bash, just like I don't have Toyota Prius*), & keep well in mind that bash and other sh(1)-derived monstrosities generally require you to "export".

*nor do I have a baby elephant to help me clean the Prius I don't have
I know how to use bash.
The configuration file is sometimes ~/.bashrc ,~/.bash_profile.
It depends on system.
I just wanted to be sure which file to configure.

Is that correct?
Code:
echo "PACKAGESITE = ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...release/Latest" >> ~/.profile

As a side note, don't change root's shell. Especially not to a shell that's not in the base.

I upgraded one today...no issues (other than tweaking named.conf)...
but KDE is still the old one...I guess it does not automatically update any packages.
so I need to manually update KDE to 4.4.3 I guess.
sendmail is now 8.14.4 and bind seems to be different but both working now.

I forgot the gmirror issue during upgrade...it wont boot...had to fix the fstab file.
Code:
mount -u /
mount -a

did not work...luckily even though "vi, more" wont work, "cp" worked and I had one fstab.original (no mirror defined) and copied that into fstab.

that fstab referrs AD8, and I had to plug into 4 different sata ports to get it right (10, 4, 6, 8 --do not know how they numbered the ports, but i made a map:)...

next time (there wont be a next time for me, I will just gmirror it so I do not need to upgrade all my drives) I need either start gmirror before rebooting, or change fstab file.

one thing good about gmirrored fstab: it wont care which sata port you plug in...it always works since it refers a gm0 drive, not a physical sata port.

beesatmsu said:
I forgot the gmirror issue during upgrade...it wont boot...had to fix the fstab file.
Code:
mount -u /
mount -a

did not work...luckily even though "vi, more" wont work, "cp" worked and I had one fstab.original (no mirror defined) and copied that into fstab.

Keep in mind that you have access (usually) to /rescue/ which has vi, tail, tee, dd and all that. Something like # export PATH=/rescue:$PATH should suffice. Otherwise just call them with their absolute path names.

Back