[ HEADS UP ] Ports unstable for the next 10 days

Sounds like a whole new 3-week-delayed ports tree. Else it
would have to integrate with the upstream tinderbox testing...
and would need resources to administer. Besides, the reason
for this instance is "shared libraries"... Feel free to repost
with those taken into account, (this reply ignores portsnap
entirely though, not using it at the present time. So forgive the
post if it is not specifically relevant to the idea.)

1. When I do # portupgrade -PR gnome2 I do not get the packages but the source and it upgrades using ports instead of packages.

2. I am getting ghostscript8 install error. I am not able to install the latest version which is 8.71. Where is the log for this so I can post the exact lines on the forum for help. Would it be in /*/*/work/ directory?

>why not have a categorization in the ports system that specifies stable/new?

Maybe just because of a lack of menpower?

nu2fbsd said:
1. When I do # portupgrade -PR gnome2 I do not get the packages but the source and it upgrades using ports instead of packages.

That's the difference between -P and -PP. If the package is outdated and there isn't a newer one, the port is used instead.

Are ports stable yet?

Are ports stable yet? I will do two fresh installations this week and I am looking for information about the status of portstree. If all ok, I will proceed with the update portstree or I will stable copy of ports I have.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Looking at the list that was 'promised' (png, curl, x11, gnome, kde4), only png has arrived in full. The rest is probably still in the works.

Curl was probably on April 3 or a bit earlier or later.
My short list of stuff remaining suggests X, gnome...
not using KDE4...
BTW I recall many ( in past years) gnome updates happening on a Sunday.

I wanted to upgrade 2 days ago, but it failed on mplayer. Luckily I had my packages backed up, so I could rollback (portmaster -b).

hydra, yes mplayer seems to be broken because of all this hodgepodge happening now. i have informed its maintainer. please keep patience.

varnie said:
hydra, yes mplayer seems to be broken because of all this hodgepodge happening now. i have informed its maintainer. please keep patience.

It's been mentioned in this thread along with a hack to make it build.

yes, sir.
but alice23 asked me to file a problem report.
i performed that request and came back with the reaction from mplayer's maintainer which i've posted above.
it's a good deal, isn't it? :)

What is a current status of this mess?

When will this warning be lifted?
I haven't updated a single port for more then 2 weeks now.

When will "green light" be given? ;)

There are also vulnerabilities in kdebase 4.3.5_1. Are we waiting for patch for 4.3.5 or for kdebase 4.4? Which one would be out earlier?

Seeker said:
What is a current status of this mess?

When will this warning be lifted?
I haven't updated a single port for more then 2 weeks now.

When will "green light" be given? ;)

my Laptop is gone, the sata controller thought it
is too hot here and and didn’t want to work longer
here so now it’s broken. Tomorrow I get a new one
with hoping to get FreeBSD installed quickly and
hopefully without any big problems. My plan was to
get Xorg finish this week but i have 2 problems
in the house we don’t have internet yet and too
much stress in the office to start fixing all the
problems I really hope to get this finish over the
Weekend.

http://miwi.bsdcrew.de/2010/04/kuala-lumpur-first-impressionen/

This info is from the last week, so maybe it will be this weekend if all of the problems in _real-life_ are solved :)

Seeker said:
Just someone please post / announce / issue "green light"

The only green light is during a ports freeze, prior to an upcoming release like 8.1. Why not enjoy the lull time now by finding and fixing broken apps?

Code:
#cd /usr/local/bin
#find . -type f | xargs -n 1 file | grep ELF | cut -f1 -d':'| xargs -n 1 ldd | grep -B 20 found

Portupgrade -fa is Unwieldy

IMHO FreeBSD has been plagued by broken releases. If the policy now is to test the testers I would be overjoyed. Far too many ports require some hack like touching nonexistent error.h files or going into the work/ directory source to gmake some directories by hand. At least the shell code I posted above finds broken shared library dependencies. That caused me a lot of frustration over the years as my seemingly nice rebuilt application tree would crash unexpectedly upon "startx" or cause strange drawing errors etc.

I've seen recommendations like "portupgrade -fa" which is unwieldy in the real world with deadlines. Not everyone is a billionaire who can play "World of Warcraft" for three days while his workstation completely rebuilds. Besides the scan I posted STILL catches broken libraries even after a complete ports rebuild!

rossiya said:
IMHO FreeBSD has been plagued by broken releases. If the policy now is to test the testers I would be overjoyed. Far too many ports require some hack like touching nonexistent error.h files or going into the work/ directory source to gmake some directories by hand. At least the shell code I posted above finds broken shared library dependencies. That caused me a lot of frustration over the years as my seemingly nice rebuilt application tree would crash unexpectedly upon "startx" or cause strange drawing errors etc.

I've seen recommendations like "portupgrade -fa" which is unwieldy in the real world with deadlines. Not everyone is a billionaire who can play "World of Warcraft" for three days while his workstation completely rebuilds. Besides the scan I posted STILL catches broken libraries even after a complete ports rebuild!

I am not a computer educated person but if I look for update of KDE 4.4 which has a lot of bugfixes and came out in February and it is not in the ports it is unusual. Or Linux world enjoy with beta or what ever version of K3b for KDE4 but not FreeBSD users. I know the answer: use console. But the question is WHY?
Thanks.

cdrtools and dvd+rw-tools are the ports on which k3b relies. I'd better use them (mkisofs, cdrecord, growisofs).

Bunyan said:
cdrtools and dvd+rw-tools are the ports on which k3b relies. I'd better use them (mkisofs, cdrecord, growisofs).

I have a sand paper and my hands but I have also an option to use a sanding machine. And I decided for the machine.
Thanks.

rossiya said:

Do like I do, build all your ports in a jail. That way your running system will continue to work. Once everything is done and packaged up, install the built packages. It shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to remove all the old packages and install the new ones.

Back