gpart label missing

Hi,

I've moved FreeBSD 9.0 Release to a larger disk. The steps followed the disk setup document by wblock@ on a USB attached disk. Each gpart add used -l to provide a label.

Once the partitions and ufs filesystems were created, I used dump/restore to copy the old (smaller) partitions to their larger new homes.

Both gpart show -l and ls /dev/gpt showed the labels supplied to the gpart add command

When swapping the disks, the new disk da0 when USB attached became ada0 (in case that matters) and only 2 of the labels show up using in ls /dev/gpt. The two are the labels for the boot partition and another partition that exists but hasn't been used yet (e.g. never mounted.) All the rest don't show. Using gpart show -l all labels seem to be there.

Should /dev/gpt list these?

When you mount a partition with a label, the label disappears because the partition is in use.

wblock@ said:
When you mount a partition with a label, the label disappears because the partition is in use.

Thanks. Since /dev/ada0p1 etc. existed, I thought e.g. /dev/gpt/gprootfs should have as well and thought I set things up wrong.

wblock@ said:

This is not the case for me, on my system. Root is on UFS2, and its label is still present in /dev/gpt/. Same goes for the swap partition, and every label used by the zpools. I.e., all gpt labels are present in the directory, regardless of the mount status.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD (...) 9.0-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p5 #1: Sat Dec 29 03:27:31 CET 2012 root@(...):/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

For reasons I've never worked out, it is not always consistent. It may matter if there are other labels or which was used when mounting the partition.

wblock@ said:

My understanding of it was that the label vanishes if the partition is mounted using an alternative method. So if you have a gpt label but mount it using the raw /dev/ada0p1 device then the gpt label vanishes. But I thought if you mounted it using the label then the label remains.

For what it's worth I have all my labels present:

Code:
# ls /dev/gpt
boot root swap
# mount
/dev/gpt/root on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/gpt/root           /               ufs     rw      1       1
/dev/gpt/swap           none            swap    sw      0       0

But my experience in the past was if I mounted it without using the label then the label was removed from devfs during boot.

xtaz said:
But my experience in the past was if I mounted it without using the label then the label was removed from devfs during boot.

This seems to be exactly what I am seeing... well, was. I've changed /etc/fstab to use labels now ;)

Back