GDM - login, then logout not working?

I have been using a Linux laptop for a bit, doing remote builds via Poudriere, and when I went back into my office and fired up FreeBSD 13.2 and Gnome, it all works well -but- if I logout it just freezes the screen and I can't switch virtual terminals, or log back in. I set up a new virtual instance with virtualbox and am seeing the same behavior there. Can I get a validation that this is known behavior, or that it's working OK for somebody else? The only 'fancy' thing I am doing is running the nvidia driver... I have run this hardware without issue for a few years now, windows and ubuntu seem to be working fine.

I'm not sure this is the issue I am seeing. I am mostly trying to find if there is anybody else who is having the same issue, or success... I have run into issues with gnome/gdm in the past (and mostly, it works perfectly!).

Hi all !!!
I am in the same situation and I can connect by ssh to the workstation in question.
ssh root@example.org service gdm restart
does not work.
ssh root@example.org reboot -r
works.
Thanks !

I've worked around the issue by setting up 'sddm' instead of 'gdm'.

That said, it's a shame that 'gnome' doesn't work out of the box, even on a fresh virtual install. This could scare off anybody trying out FreeBSD from say Ubuntu, they may try it out, give up, and never come back. Also, the terminals look screwy unless 'source-code-pro-ttf' is installed, it has been like this for years, I think. The quarterly releases at least should have the major windowing systems working.

Just faced the same situation. On logout, everything freezes and the only way to get back is turning the computer off using the power button.

Is there something I can investigate to help to find out what is happening?

Back