Fresh install, problem with pkg_add

I've recently freshly installed a version of FreeBSD 8.1 RELEASE, to fix an assortment of problems with my old FreeBSD installation.

I have run into two problems immediately after a reinstallation and a reconfiguration of dhcp.

1) My first is an annoying problem I've run into before with FreeBSD-- pkg_add works when not sudo'd but doesn't work while sudo'd.

The following is the output of verbose mode in a non-sudo environment:

Code:
pkg_add: pkg_add of dependency 'libXaw-1.0.7 ,1' failed!

And in the sudo environment:

Code:
200 PORT command successful.  Consider using PASV.
initiating transfer
>>> RETR xterm.tbz
Error [...] Can't open data connection

I have FTP_PASSIVE="YES" setup in my rc.conf file, but how do I have this setting translate to sudo as well? I know that upon sudo'ing, these settings are cleared...

2) My second problem is a display adapter problem with gdm. After successfully doing a pkg_add -r gdm, I have added dbus_enable="YES" and hald_enable="YES" to my rc.conf file as well as adding gdm_enable="YES" Upon startup of my system, gdm does not load-- and when I attempt a:

# gdm

I get:

Code:
Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager: Connection ":1.12" is not allowed to own the service "org.gnome.DisplayManager

Any resolutions?

It's extremely disheartening to install a fresh copy of FreeBSD and immediately run into errors like these...

Put this in /usr/local/etc/sudoers:

Code:
Defaults        env_keep += "FTP_PASSIVE_MODE"

Don't edit the file directly, use:

# visudo

A quick and dirty solution to this it to call the command like:

sudo env VAR=VALUE command

It's guaranteed to work whether or not sudo's in the mix without having to edit the sudoers file ;)...

Back