FreeBSD won't boot

I was trying to get GDM to boot since I kept getting an error when executing "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure". So I edited the ttyv8 file manually with "ee", by replacing "off" with "on".

After I did; I was unable to boot into KDE or even the prompt so I could correct my error. I get stuck with this ugly gray login box with a big black X on it that states "FreeBSD: welcome to gateway.2wire.net", on an even uglier "white" background that asks me to long in.

Although once I login, I can't do anything. The keyboard just beeps when any key is pressed, and there is no mouse. I'm also unable to shutdown or reboot so I have to hold the power button on my pc until it shuts down.

I Just wanted to know if there is a way to salvage this, or will I have to reinstall FreeBSD from scratch again? Does anyone know of a solution or am I pretty much screwed?

P.S. I'm new to BSD...:r

What pressing ctrl+alt+f1? You should get on ttyv0 and should be able to fix it.
BTW: are dbus and hald enabled in /etc/rc.conf?

Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and it will drop you to the pure console(ttyv1). From there you should be able to login and correct your mistakes.

(darn... beaten by ale...)

gilinko said:
Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and it will drop you to the pure console(ttyv1). From there you should be able to login and correct your mistakes.

(darn... beaten by ale...)

All that did was send me back to the same screen, after going blank for a few seconds :(

ale said:
What pressing ctrl+alt+f1? You should get on ttyv0 and should be able to fix it.
BTW: are dbus and hald enabled in /etc/rc.conf?

I don't know as I can't get into the console. Also trying that keystroke didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Back