Solved FreeBSD upgrade from 8.4 to 10.1

Hi, I made a mistake when upgrading.

I started 3 days ago to upgrade from 8.4 to 9.2

I did a portsnap(8) but forgot to do a ports-mgmt/portupgrade. So, I then upgraded from 9.2 to 9.3 and then to 10.0 and then to now at 10.1.

I then noticed this. I then tried doing it now and notice I get errors. I get major OS upgrade detected. It eventually ends up failing to upgrade the ports.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Do, I need to revert back to previous OS's?

0. Do you have a backup?
1. Please stop using portupgrade. It depends on Ruby and can break at bad times. ports-mgmt/portmaster is a shell script with no external dependencies.
2. You noticed "this"--what is "this"? Probably a problem with ports, but it is not clear.
3. Had you already switched to pkg? Does pkg info work? With the list that produces, all of the installed ports can be rebuilt.

0. Do you have a backup?
1. Please stop using portupgrade. It depends on Ruby and can break at bad times. ports-mgmt/portmaster is a shell script with no external dependencies.
2. You noticed "this"--what is "this"? Probably a problem with ports, but it is not clear.
3. Had you already switched to pkg? Does pkg info work? With the list that produces, all of the installed ports can be rebuilt.

I do have pkg I will try and run pkg info in a bit. The ports work fine. I assume it just spits out very quickly that it detects a major OS upgrade. I then runs showing many data paths...etc

Then at the end it ends in error. It would tell me like 6 data paths to 6 different ports and would have something like ****error*** /usr/port/blah/blah/blah. It would show 6 of those.

If you want that info. Just way a few minutes. I will run pkg info and see what spits out.

I do have ports-mgmt/portmaster installed. I was told by others to use portsnap because it's more reliable. You're the first to tell me that it's not reliable.

0. Do you have a backup?

pkg spits out shared object"libssl.so.6" not found required by pkg

UPDATE: I installed again pkg from port. I did the pkg2ng to convert the format. Now, when I type in the same command pkg info. I now get a list of names

Precision is important here. portsnap is different from portupgrade which is different from portmaster.

Please stop trying to reinstall individual ports, that is only making things worse. They all must be reinstalled. See Thread rebuilding-all-ports-with-portmaster.51210 for the procedure.

Thanks but I got my server to work. I used the pkg to install the packages. Once I did everything worked. The problem I still have is now gnome. I opened another thread about the problems with gnome.

My servers now work and all software works except for gnome. I checked the logs and it's getting parsing errors.

See the man page: portmaster(8). But also realize that -a should not be used until all required manual updates shown in /usr/ports/UPDATING have been done first. See Upgrading FreeBSD Ports.

OK, I just read it and I already done all that.

I did the portsnap fetch update Then I recently just did portmaster -a which is update all ports.

I notice in my /usr/src I didn't have kernael files. I downloaded them. I noticed errors when trying to install a nvidia drivers. It said something that there's no kernael source files in that location.

So, googled around and found the commands to download the files for FreeBSD 10.1.

All my server software works. I just need gnome3-lite to work. Right now if I start dbus, gdm, hald I boot into a GUI window. Once I type in service hald onstart It automatically tries to book.

It opens up a window and I see a gui interface where it's all grey color. A small window pops up saying that something went wrong and I had to click the close button. It took me to a black screen and that's where I end up staying.

It looks like the upgrade went well for all the other software except for Gnome3.
Any ideas on how to debug this problem?

I opened up another thread about the Gnome issue.

Precision is important here. portsnap is different from portupgrade which is different from portmaster.

Please stop trying to reinstall individual ports, that is only making things worse. They all must be reinstalled. See Thread rebuilding-all-ports-with-portmaster.51210 for the procedure.

I tried that and most package result in a complete failure. However, doing postmaster -af. This compiled the packages without any problems.

Yet, for example if I go directly to where gdm is located in the ports section and run the make install clean. It results in failure when it cannot link to some tool.

cd /usr/port/x11/gdm make install clean It results in a compilation error. It says:

Code:
libtool: link: cannot find library ' /usr/local/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.la' or
unhandled argument.

It then said about gdm-simple-chooser failed and all-recursive failed

Then says compilation unexpectedly failed. That is where it stops.

So, I think the gdm is broken. How do I fix this?

It is really difficult to tell what you did. However, until you remove all installed packages, continued failure is likely.

It is really difficult to tell what you did. However, until you remove all installed packages, continued failure is likely.

I just did portsnap fetch update and portmaster -af

That is all I did. If I use pkg to install GDM. I get no errors. If I directly go to the port and do a make clean install. It then spits out an error.

Do you need any logs? What to look at my Xorg log? Any logs I can post that might help?

From /usr/ports/UPDATING

Code:
20140909:
  AFFECTS: users seeing build errors about missing *.la files
  AUTHOR: tijl@FreeBSD.org

We are in the process of adjusting or, if possible, removing libtool archives
  (*.la files) from all ports because they can otherwise cause overlinking
  between packages.  This is the problem where in the dependency chain A->B->C
  an extra link is added from A to C even if A does not use C directly.  This
  makes some updates to port C expensive because then both A and B have to be
  rebuilt instead of just B.

This is mostly behind the scenes work that you won't notice.  In fact most
  ports have already been converted.  You may however run into build errors
  about missing *.la files if a port update in the past went wrong and left
  behind *.la files with references to other *.la files that are no longer
  there.  In this case, please run the following command:

find /usr/local/lib -name '*.la' | xargs grep -l 'libfoo\.la' | xargs pkg which
  (Replace libfoo\.la with the *.la file that is missing.)

This command will print a list of *.la files that refer to the missing *.la
  file and what package they belong to.  First, where it says "not found in
  the database", remove the *.la file.  After removing all such files, where
  it says "installed by package X", rebuild X.  Eventually the list printed by
  that command will be empty and the build error should be gone.

From /usr/ports/UPDATING

Code:
20140909:
  AFFECTS: users seeing build errors about missing *.la files
  AUTHOR: tijl@FreeBSD.org

We are in the process of adjusting or, if possible, removing libtool archives
  (*.la files) from all ports because they can otherwise cause overlinking
  between packages.  This is the problem where in the dependency chain A->B->C
  an extra link is added from A to C even if A does not use C directly.  This
  makes some updates to port C expensive because then both A and B have to be
  rebuilt instead of just B.

This is mostly behind the scenes work that you won't notice.  In fact most
  ports have already been converted.  You may however run into build errors
  about missing *.la files if a port update in the past went wrong and left
  behind *.la files with references to other *.la files that are no longer
  there.  In this case, please run the following command:

find /usr/local/lib -name '*.la' | xargs grep -l 'libfoo\.la' | xargs pkg which
  (Replace libfoo\.la with the *.la file that is missing.)

This command will print a list of *.la files that refer to the missing *.la
  file and what package they belong to.  First, where it says "not found in
  the database", remove the *.la file.  After removing all such files, where
  it says "installed by package X", rebuild X.  Eventually the list printed by
  that command will be empty and the build error should be gone.
That was exactly it. I followed that and it finally after needing to upgrade certain packages. It compiled. I then recompiled and installed xorg. It looks like that was the only thing keeping me back.

Right now letting it finish compiling and reinstalling xorg. I will see if I can start gnome.

Update: I was able to compile all packages and get them up to date and installed.

xorg.0.log shows no errors. I ran startx It boots me into a white/grey window with a small window with a message saying something where it failed. It doesn't give a specific message. Just a general statement that something drastically went wrong and it has a cancel button. I hit enter which clicks that button. I then go to a blank black screen. I have to then reboot myserver.

If I start gdm or startx it boots me into this screen with the exact message.

64xP5.jpg

I checked my xorg.0.log and it shows nothing failed. It loaded the glx ok but later down the lines it shows failed to initialize glx. That and another fail message but that's due to not detecting a mouse. I don't have a mouse connected while doing this. Any ideas? should I look in the demessage?

Run the following command and if it produces any output recompile the listed ports from the first column:

pkg query '%o %q' | fgrep -v 'freebsd:10'

Never mind got it to work. I just did a pkg search glx. I looked around for the GLX libs. I used PKG to installed it. It found nvidia drivers installed so it uninstalled it. It replaced it with GLX libs and now everything works.

Back