FreeBSD 9.x rebooting in every 5 sec

Hi,
I had installed FreeBSD 9.x as desktop on AMD phenom2, after installation it was automatically rebooted in a day or two, I was suspecting that it might be due to dust bunnies. After cleaning CPU and fan, FreeBSD shows me boot prompt and when I boot it gets halted in 3-5 seconds.

Please note that boot process was not getting over. Looks like disk issue? But don't know how to debug?

Any pointer.

--
gnumonk.

Sounds like an hardware problem, it could be the system getting too hot.
However, if you can stay logged in for a couple of minutes you should edit /etc/rc.conf and ensure there is not a line with
Code:
dumpdev="NO"

If this is the case, you should find a crash dump on /var/crash each time you reboot. Inspect the /var/crash/info.n (with n the greater number) and see if it gives you a panic string that can help understanding the problem.

fluca1978 said:
it could be the system getting too hot.
[snip]
If this is the case, you should find a crash dump on /var/crash each time you reboot.
Mind you: overheating systems sometimes "just" lose power, in which case no crash dump will be made.

Console is not an option. I am not able to boot to the prompt, it gets halted earlier. I don't think it's overheating because it booted the first time and if I reboot with Debian it works fine.

Anyway to debug?

--
gnumonk

So you get to the bootloader - have you tried booting with the verbose (6) and single-user (7) options enabled? If it boots to single user, then try [cmd=]$ exit[/cmd] and see if you get to console.

Alternatively, look through the log files (from Debian environment or such) to see if there is any useful info.

Beeblebrox,
Yes, I tried with enable/disable single mode, enable/disabled ACPI, enabled/disable verbose, No luck so far.

--
gnumonk

See if there's a CPU temperature readout in the BIOS configuration utility. To me this sounds like an overheat shutdown.

When you cleaned out the dust, did you remove the CPU cooler? If so, did you clean off and re-apply the thermal compound?

@jem,

Will check CPU temperature readout from BIOS and update here. I had removed the CPU and processor fan and re-applied back.

@Ondra,

I need to look for this, But don't see any temp issue here, because system has been up for the last two days with Debian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you running your RAM at a speed that's compatible with your processor? If you run your RAM at > 1333 you might have stability problems with that processor. I had a similar rebooting problem that was caused by me trying to overclock my RAM, but if you have e.g. 1866 and try to run it as such that might cause a similar problem.

Kevin Barry

ta0kira said:
Are you running your RAM at a speed that's compatible with your processor? If you run your RAM at > 1333 you might have stability problems with that processor. I had a similar rebooting problem that was caused by me trying to overclock my RAM, but if you have e.g. 1866 and try to run it as such that might cause a similar problem.

Kevin Barry

Kavin,
How to get this information and how to set this?

--
gnumonk

gnumonk said:
Kavin,
How to get this information and how to set this?
It's something you probably would have had to do manually in your BIOS settings, since your BIOS should automatically underclock RAM that's too fast for your CPU. Depending on your BIOS, the menu should at least tell you the RAM speed somewhere and it might also allow you to set it.

Kevin Barry

This doesn't sound like overheating or RAM speed issue. To me it sounds like some odd ACPI BIOS bug/incompatibility.

kpa said:
This doesn't sound like overheating or RAM speed issue. To me it sounds like some odd ACPI BIOS bug/incompatibility.

Yes, I am also suspecting the same. I would like to make sure that issue is not something else? Is there any way I can boot the machine disabling some parameter?

@ta0kira, I will check the BIOS setting and set the value to 1330? Let's see if I am able to boot.
--
gnumonk

This issue has started after power went off, suspecting that something wrong with the disk? Is there anyway I can run fsck from FreeBSD bootloader?

--
gnumonk

No, but you can run it from single user. Remember to mount root writeable first, if the root filesystem is the problem.

It might be simplistic, but if you can run a (any?) live system on your machine for few minutes to half an hour it is probably not a hardware problem. If you really care about your RAM integrity stick an Ubuntu live system in it it has an option to test the memory. If it is a hardware problem it could be related to the power supply. Often the cost-down power supply engineering is the culprit in these kind of problems. Also, maybe due to improper shutdown your OS corrupted some important files and you will need to boot from another source to check/clean up the system.

Ah,
It looks like an issue with FreeBSD with hardware. I have done following steps. I have three disk in box two SATA and one IDE.

I have unplugged all SATA except one when I will reinstall BSD FreeBSD, but I found the same behaviour. Then I unplugged the CDROM (which is also SATA), here I have a success case, I was able to boot from memstick and installed new BSD FreeBSD.

New BSD FreeBSD again ran for 30 min and halted with no reason, but I was able to collect the /var/log/message.

If you see an error at last, it was due to automatically halted and after boot I have run fsck. I think its halted when the usbus information comes but I have no idea, expert can tell where the issue is. See link for message log http://paste.debian.net/250600/.

--
gnumonk

tingo said:
No, but you can run it from single user. Remember to mount root writeable first, if the root filesystem is the problem.

@tingo,
Single user mode was not an option, much before it gets halted :)

--
gnumonk

gnumonk said:
@tingo,
Single user mode was not an option, much before it gets halted :)

Really? In message 20 in this thread, you wrote
gnumonk said:
...FreeBSD again ran for 30 min...

If that is true, you should be able to boot in single user mode, and have it running for 30 minutes...

Back