1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeBSD 9.0 on ThinkPad X220

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by HonestAbe, Mar 21, 2012.

1. HonestAbe

HonestAbe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

I attempted to install FreeBSD on an mSATA drive in my X220 - or rather, I did install but ran into some problems.

As stated, I installed 9.0 on an mSATA drive in my X220. No other OS was installed on this drive and I used the automated partitioning scheme supplied in the installer. The installation went without issue but when I attempted to boot from the fresh install the system just hung (as if no bootable drive were available). I guessed that perhaps there was some issue with FreeBSD playing nice with mSATA in the X220 so I then went through the same installation on my main SATA SSD but to my dismay the same issue arose.

I searched and could only find reference to UEFI or the boot agent FreeBSD uses as the culprit. Disabling UEFI had no effect. Should I install GRUB and add FreeBSD to the GRUB file?

I really appreciate any suggestions you might have. Ideally, I would have FreeBSD 9.0 taking the whole of my Intel 310 (80GB) on the mSATA but if I need to add FreeBSD among my OpenBSD and Linux partitions on my Intel 320 (160GB) SSD then I shall happily do so.

Thanks again.

2. grigorovl

grigorovl New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need to do legacy style MBR booting. This has been discussed in a couple of places. You can also see this topic:
    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2012-March/007463.html

Also read through this topic for further information:
    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/135827

I ordered my X220, but I know it will be some configuration to get FreeBSD to work as I want it once it comes. Basically right now resume and brightness are problematic.

For future references, the mailing lists, specifically freebsd-mobile and freebsd-acpi will get you more accurate and quicker responses.