Solved FreeBSD 14 is ready?

I can live with that, the system works fine so no problem to me.
I just wanted to know what to do when it finally gets released how can I re-upgrade to the same release, but thanks.
Quick reminder: 14.0-RELEASE was available that's why I upgraded.
You are already there, no need to upgrade.

There is a reply to clarify the reason.

Yes, but, if at this point we had to rebuild, it would have to be 14.0.1
or something (which we have done a few times in the past). It would be
too confusing otherwise once the bits are built and published (where
published means "uploaded to our CDN"). It is the 14.0 release bits,
the only question is if for some reason we had a dire emergency that
meant we had to pull it at the last minute and publish different bits
(under a different release name).

Realistically, once the bits are available, we can't prevent people from
using them, it's just at their own risk to do so until the project says
"yes, we believe these are good". Granted, they are under the same risk
if they are still running the last RC. The best way to minimize that
risk going forward is to add more automation of testing/CI to go along
with the process of building release bits so that the build artifacts
from the release build run through CI and are only published if the CI
is green as that would give us greater confidence of "we believe these
are good" before they are uploaded for publishing.

Lost some software:
firefox was gone after restart
sudo was gone also... why?!?!
I got everything from packages, from firefox to chromium(some says that chromium was not port to 14.0)

one question..14.0 is works fine for me now, show I worry about? for the official anounce?

Nah, you broke into the garage in the back, saw the Bugatti and thought to yourself: Hey, the Bugatti's right there! Where are the keys?! Meanwhile in the front shop, the employees are still preparing the Bugatti for official presentation and are feeding the ERP with corresponding data. You, the customer, are not supposed to ask for the keys at this time. Relax, take a cup of coffee, sit down in one of the cozy seats and wait till they bring the Bugatti to the show room.

Why do you think they even have a schedule and announcements in the first place? This "I want it so bad" conversation is kinda off-base.

Schedules and announcements are there in order to make sure the promised stuff is as advertised - on time, correctly tagged, actually available via correct channels (direct download, bittorrent, whatever), and showstopper bugs actually fixed. Verification against such a checklist is kind of important. Scheduled announcements give time for that kind of verification effort. Unverified efforts means you have the version of stuff you don't want.

Software is more flexible than non-digital stuff - especially Open Source software. In Open Source, the moment something is published to any given channel (direct download, bittorrent, github, whatever) is the moment it's actually available - which is why devs put in the effort to tag available stuff correctly (-RELEASE, -STABLE, -CURRENT, and the like) - BEFORE publishing it.

For physical products, like a Bugatti or a GPU with awesome specs - you break things for everybody If you display impatience and demand yours before everything is in place for distribution. The manufacturer/distributor is the one who ends up with a broken promise (made to everybody, not just you, the lone greedy customer) of having everything in place before starting the distribution process. Inventory is short (because you demanded your item early), early batches of car keys may turn out to be defective, any number of things can go wrong.

Why do you think they even have a schedule and announcements in the first place? This "I want it so bad" conversation is kinda off-base.

Schedules and announcements are there in order to make sure the promised stuff is as advertised - on time, correctly tagged, actually available via correct channels (direct download, bittorrent, whatever), and showstopper bugs actually fixed. Verification against such a checklist is kind of important. Scheduled announcements give time for that kind of verification effort. Unverified efforts means you have the version of stuff you don't want.

Software is more flexible than non-digital stuff - especially Open Source software. In Open Source, the moment something is published to any given channel (direct download, bittorrent, github, whatever) is the moment it's actually available - which is why devs put in the effort to tag available stuff correctly (-RELEASE, -STABLE, -CURRENT, and the like) - BEFORE publishing it.

For physical products, like a Bugatti or a GPU with awesome specs - you break things for everybody If you display impatience and demand yours before everything is in place for distribution. The manufacturer/distributor is the one who ends up with a broken promise (made to everybody, not just you, the lone greedy customer) of having everything in place before starting the distribution process. Inventory is short (because you demanded your item early), early batches of car keys may turn out to be defective, any number of things can go wrong.
it's not the "I want it so bad", it's more like curiosity you know? :)
It's the same this or the previous release in my system it's zero impact.
But what I did was very simple
looked at release schedule and confirmed the planned date and then I did try a
# freebsd-update -r 14.0-RELEASE upgrade
and WOW!!! it worked so I assumed (and I am wrong, very wrong on assuming) the release was completed and it was just a matter of updating the website.
My fault!

But let me tell that for a not yet released system the upgrade worked super well.
Congratulations for all the team!

Take your time, I'm a developer too I perfectly know what you mean.

1. backup
then
# freebsd-update -r 14.0-RELEASE upgrade

Missing two steps after the backup …

… seems like freebsd-update -r 14.0 upgrade does the job? I am not an expert on FreeBSD …

… missing two steps, before the upgrade, neither of which is the suggested backup.

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/14.0R/installation/, when it appears, will almost certainly show what's missing.

Screenshot_2023-11-17_19-32-23.png

What's happened? Re Leader changed. Just because of this delayed release? I am ok with the delay, we only care about quality.
So the release would be delayed more days due to this change.
It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to resign my role as the
Release Engineering Team Lead.

Colin Percival will take over this role, and I will act as his Deputy
Lead unless and until he finds a more suitable person to fill this role.

I might expect the 14.0 release announcement, and other formalities that routinely coincide with announcement, a week from now.
Maybe later, maybe sooner. Without being flippant: it'll happen when it happens. There's a well-established tradition of having the two columns:
  • expected dates
  • actual dates.
The tradition has served the Project extremely well, and this is not the first time that an announcement has been delayed for one reason or another. We can, in our collective excitement, wish for an announcement sooner rather than later, however:
  • actualisation involves more than wishful thinking :)

… Just because of this delayed release? …
Like most things in life, change is multifaceted. …

Back