FreeBSD 10.1 is awesome!

Reading the release notes of 10.1 a couple of days ago, I was very impressed with the loads of improvements in so many areas, that we didn't wait long before upgrading some of our Very Important Machines in our network (mainly ZFS-based storage machines) and the improvements show right away. Very pleased indeed. With the 1M $ donation recently given to the FreeBSD foundation as well, the future looks bright!

I haven't done any 9.3->10.1 upgrades yet, only two 10.0 -> 10.1 upgrades. These were ZFS storage machines for backups. As Oko mentioned already, BIND is removed in favor of Unbound. For the rest, I guess it all depends on what this machine is doing?

Remember that BIND is still in ports. The only difference is the expected location of the configuration files, rather than in /etc/namedb, the port expects them in /usr/local/etc/namedb. Oh, and the option to run named in a chroot(8) is not available. For better security, it can be run in a jail: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.IS...k/jails-ezjail.html#jails-ezjail-example-bind.
And for even better security it should be not run at all :p and NSD should be used instead. What kind a DNS server uses Python programming language? BIND 10 of course:rolleyes: Now FreeBSD firstly has to fix the problems with random numbers :)

I agree, 10.1 is quite nice. It was also the first time I used bsdinstall(), based upon the comments I have seen, I was a bit concerned. But turned out it was easy to use, got a slightly confused on disk partitioning (needed a repartition) but was easy enough to figure out :)

edit: forgot, pkgng also impressive

Back