Forums Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might I suggest announcing the move from vbulletin to phpBB in the News & Announcements forum?

Given that there have been major breaches of high-profile vbulletin sites, I was a little leery of the password reset that was requested of me, and it took some digging to find this thread here rather than in the forum that is subtitled "Important information related to FreeBSD Forums and the FreeBSD project".

Nice job. I'd love to see some fancier BBCode shortcuts, but I'm sure things like that are slated for much further down the road. The swap from right to left for user info is really the most jarring thing visually, after that I'd say I'd enjoy seeing links opened in a new window and a return of the the "thanks" feature.

spork said:
The swap from right to left for user info is really the most jarring thing visually, . . .
It does put the information visually far away from where it is needed, and exercises the eye muscles. :) I don't find it particularly jarring, but it is somewhat dyslexic in a world where textual information is historically organized from top to bottom and left to right.

DutchDaemon said:
99% of these were killed during the sign-up phase because they were on blacklists, tried to embellish their profiles with spam URLs, etc. So most of them you have never seen, and will never see on the forums. Or as I call it: my job here.
That leaves only 1% for questions about a certain game. I would have guessed that those were more frequent.
But since we do not get to see all those posts which come under the "first 10" rule, the data is biased. And the more bias it has, the better a job the mods do. So :beer for the moderators.

'Search' into the forums while logged in has left us forever or would that option come back to us in a near future?

vanessa said:
You'd be better off using Google with site:forums.freebsd.org instead of forum search engines.
Well, that would be a serious regression IMHO. Searching the forum, also the tag words, were a very important thing to find information.

I currently see this on the front of the forum:
Registered users: Bing [Bot], Crivens, Google [Bot], hopla, MSN [Bot], Vener
Legend: Administrators, Global moderators
So does this mean that the bots are registered users?

Quick moderator note: all existing topics about the migration from vBulletin to phpBB have been merged into this one, which has been made sticky (for the time being).

OJ said:
spork said:
The swap from right to left for user info is really the most jarring thing visually, . . .
It does put the information visually far away from where it is needed, and exercises the eye muscles. :) I don't find it particularly jarring, but it is somewhat dyslexic in a world where textual information is historically organized from top to bottom and left to right.

Agree, it's just weird when all the other forums you use have the sidebar on the left. I'm fairly certain phpBB allows you to switch it to the other side.

zspider said:
Agree, it's just weird when all the other forums you use have the sidebar on the left. I'm fairly certain phpBB allows you to switch it to the other side.
I am on phpBB fora that have the sidebar on the left and ones that have it on the right, so there's probably just a toggle switch somewhere. Your desire to have it on the left has been reported. Personally I don't really care so I suggested we could take it to a poll, but in any case we'll just have to wait for word from the admins.

Having a working "View active topics" link (while being logged out) would be really great.

And by the way, how's the favicon coming?

Beastie said:
Having a working "View active topics" link (while being logged out) would be really great.
It's actually essential to the function of the forum. As it is, one has to work around this problem in order to participate here.

OJ said:
Beastie said:
It's actually essential to the function of the forum. As it is, one has to work around this problem in order to participate here.
How is that? I've been here for a while but never felt a need to use it.

Oh, ugh. When I saw the new forums one thought came to my mind: "Is it April 1st ?" But it seems like a bad dream coming true :(. I agree with @johnblue - I don't understand why usernames are on the right of the post. Some kind of hipster stuff maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am aware that there are MODs available for phpBB which will re-enable the previous functions - should one say "emulate"? - of VBulletin. When will these MODs be enabled for the forums?

Thanks muchly.

fonz said:
zspider said:
I am on phpBB fora that have the sidebar on the left and ones that have it on the right, so there's probably just a toggle switch somewhere. Your desire to have it on the left has been reported. Personally I don't really care so I suggested we could take it to a poll, but in any case we'll just have to wait for word from the admins.

Yeah that's what seem to recall from my own experimentation with phpBB 3. Thanks for the talkback and consideration on the suggestion. :)

Well, we're a week away and I agree with some of the posters above; in general I'm not too happy about the current state of the forum. Thing is; of course at first the end-user in me thought: "Setting up a few tags, how hard could it be?" when I suddenly remembered a hobby project I did some months ago; wrote up a few articles on my website about certain "tech topics" amongst which "How to use ASP.NET on FreeBSD".

Because it was about FreeBSD and because I've gotten so used to the markup used in this place I "borrowed" the markup style by re-creating it myself using CSS (and a bit of ASP coding, but the end result is still valid HTML with CSS markup). At first I tried copying it of course, but after looking through the HTML source code of some messages and peeking at the CSS style sheets I figured that re-building it myself would be a lot easier ;) Oh, for the record; obviously I did so while mentioning the origins and linking back to this place. Credit where credit's due is my motto in those scenarios.

The {file} and {cmd} tags were relatively easy, but I quickly remembered how much trouble it was to try and get {port} to look the part. First I discovered that you couldn't use a different colour with the underline markup, then I discovered a way around it but then learned that the underline itself would hover all the way down making it look really horrid. Long story cut a bit shorter: eventually I managed to make it work, still quite proud of that feat, and now I'm wondering if this could help you guys out.

Figured I might as well dump it here, if this isn't useful for you guys then maybe it could be for some random reader.

First {file}, that is easy because all you need is to change the colour of the text. I created a new tag called "bsdfile" and defined it in my CSS style block (this is defined on the same page it's being used) as follows:

Code:
        bsdfile {
            color: green;
        }
Using it is easy, you simply treat 'bsdfile' as if it was an HTML markup statement, so you use it in the same was as you'd use things like {em}, {b} and so on (where {} should be <> of course, to make sure this doesn't interfere in any way I figured using {} here would be safer).

{cmd} is a bit harder, but still easy, because you need to use a grey inverse colour while still making sure to maintain the colour of the text itself. I eventually came up with this:

Code:
        bsdcmd {
            color: black;
            background-color: lightgrey;
        }
And then the hard part. I ended up writing a so called ASP web control for this one because once I figured out how it worked I realized that I was doing something which generic HTML / CSS markup doesn't allow "out of the box". So I wanted more than merely a "port markup", the web control allows me to specify if I'm defining a port or if I want to use a customized text and line colour.

But as said, the eventual code is still valid HTML with CSS markup, and here it is:

Code:
<span style="display:inline-block">
  <u style="color: darkred";>
    <span style="color: green";>
      portcategory/yourfavouriteport
    </span>
  </u>
</span>
Right, and there you have it.

If you'd like an example of how this might look then you can find the page I've mentioned above where I use this stuff right here. Just don't expect state of the art web design; this one is merely a hobby for me :)

Alas, hope this can be useful.

fonz said:
OJ said:
Beastie said:
How is that? I've been here for a while but never felt a need to use it.
I have not found any other way that works for me. Perhaps I could go to the index and then go and check out every "area". I don't think that's a practical solution. It would be an awful lot of mouse clicks (which I'm not too good at) and it would be difficult to get a picture. A list is easier - at least for me. I'm not so young any more. :)

How do you manage it? Do you have some sort of script?

The thing I don't get about Unread Posts is that it doesn't show all new posts. I just did a check to sort out what is happening, and it appears that if I have clicked on a thread, it disappears from the list.

OJ said:
OJ said:
I have not found any other way that works for me. Perhaps I could go to the index and then go and check out every "area". I don't think that's a practical solution. It would be an awful lot of mouse clicks (which I'm not too good at) and it would be difficult to get a picture.
fonz said:
I use what was called New Posts on the old forums and appears to be Unread Posts here. But then again, I always log in. That might make a difference.
OJ said:
The thing I don't get about Unread Posts is that it doesn't show all new posts. I just did a check to sort out what is happening, and it appears that if I have clicked on a thread, it disappears from the list.
These all perfectly summarize the reasons why we need a working "View active topics" while being offline. We use this feature every time we visit these (and other) forums. It may appear useless to you if you stay logged in for long periods, but it makes it easier for us to browse the forum and find interesting topics to read and participate in.

Just check the forum statistics: 92 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 86 guests with the registered users being just adamk, Bing [Bot], fonz, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Uniballer

What @OJ described in the second quote is exactly what I've been doing since the migration and it's quite annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back