1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flow control in FreeBSD

Discussion in 'Networking' started by m69, Jul 19, 2012.

1. m69

m69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to use flow control in FreeBSD for an interface. What I should to do for enabel or disable it in FreeBSD.
    Thanks

2. michaelrmgreen

michaelrmgreen Member

Thanks Received:
    Serial flow control, either software (XON/XOFF) or hardware (CTS/RTS or DSR/DTR) is controlled through getty(8). Have a look at the man page for getty and peruse the related files /etc/ttys and /etc/gettytab. There's also a useful Handbook page here: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/serial.html

I struggled for years trying to get good flow control to high speed terminals and it never worked to my satisfaction. In the end I accepted a lower data rate (9600 Baud) and no flow control.

[Edit] Further information: If you don't use flow control you can use simpler serial cables but you need to change std.9600 to 3wire.9600 in /etc/ttys.

m69 thanks for this.
  3. m69

m69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks but it wasn't my aim. I want use flow control for a network interface in FreeBSD because I must do a test and I can't because flow control is enable. Is it enable as default?
    How I can disable it?

4. quintessence

quintessence Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

As I see in changes by default it should be disabled in FreeBSD-9, and if you enable it you should see it in the ifconfig(8) output for example as:

Code:
    100baseTX-FDX-flow
    , where -flow indicates that flow control is enabled on your NIC.

From /usr/src/sys/net/if_media.h:

5. phoenix

phoenix Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    ifconfig(8), especially the parts about -m (to see what mediaopts the driver supports) and mediaopts._