Firefox stopped to support DRM ?

Can some explain to me what happened to Firefox ? It seems that from a certain point,it stopped to support DRM. I read it after its installation and confirmed here :

Istantanea_2024-03-21_15-37-52.png

If this is true,Chrome should be used even if you don't want,if you wanto to watch some protected content video.

If It cannot be used in firefox,im not interested. Anyway Ive installed Firefox within the Linuxulator. Does widevine works In firefox installed there ? What are the technical limitations that there are in Freebsd that prevent Firefox to run with widevine natively in FreeBSD ?

all of the guides to using a browser in the linuxulator to view drm content
are for chromium based browsers

i use 2 browsers on freebsd

firefox for regular browsing
and chromium to sign into google and play drm content

I know but i ve installed firefox inside the linux emulator for some reason that I dont remember. So now im curious to check if widevine works there...

i tried and couldnt get firefox in the linuxulator to play drm
gave me errors on channel 4 and itv in the uk

chromium works fine with the linux-widevine-drm package on freebsd

chromium is giving to us a lot of problems on 13.3 if compiled from sources.Im trying to umderstand why widevine works with chromium and does not with firefox. For sure I would like to adapt it for the latter.

chromium is giving to us a lot of problems on 13.3 if compiled from sources.Im trying to umderstand why widevine works with chromium and does not with firefox. For sure I would like to adapt it for the latter.
If someone can/want to implement https://github.com/shkhln/foreign-cdm for firefox, then you should be able to watch drm content on native firefox (with linux widevine).
The main reason is that google does not publish a FreeBSD version of widevine, so native firefox can't load the widevine library from google.

The shkhln 's github allows us to enable widevine for Firefox installed native ? Does it work already ? Do you know how to install it ? Firefox for Linux (or better,Firefox installed on the linuxlator) does supports widevine ?

chromium on freebsd was patched to allow widevine support using linux-widevine-cdm

firefox on freebsd doesnt have support for widevine

even if you copy the widevine files used by chromium and put them into the directory where firefox expects them to be
and enable the widevine settings in about:config it doesnt work

chromium on freebsd was patched to allow widevine support using linux-widevine-cdm

firefox on freebsd doesnt have support for widevine

even if you copy the widevine files used by chromium and put them into the directory where firefox expects them to be
and enable the widevine settings in about:config it doesnt work

Nope. I will not copy the widevine files used by chromium. I may copy the widevine files used by Firefox on a real Linux box inside the Linuxulator,for sure.

the widevine file is the same on firefox and chromium
its installing the same thing in both browsers

copying the widevine files used by chromium over to firefox wont make any difference

because all your doing is manually copying the widevine file over to firefox
which is the same file that gets installed when you enable drm playback in the firefox settings

The current advice: either learn to code and fix Firefox or use Chromium. I'll note that Widevine support appears be compiled and the instructions from https://old.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/nrb6fk/fix_widevine_content_decryption_module_wont/ mostly work (in combination with media.gmp-widevinecdm.enabled/media.gmp-widevinecdm.visible keys), but Firefox is stupid and immediately deletes the files, then it can't find the cdm because it just deleted it. So that is the part that has to be located and patched.

The shkhln 's github allows us to enable widevine for Firefox installed native ? Does it work already ? Do you know how to install it ? Firefox for Linux (or better,Firefox installed on the linuxlator) does supports widevine ?
I never said that, I said if someone want to put the effort into adapting firefox to use/adapt foreign-cdm, then it should be possible.

I never said that, I said if someone want to put the effort into adapting firefox to use/adapt foreign-cdm, then it should be possible.

yeah,I wants to put some effort on that,but before I want to put some effort trying to understand how to change this :

Sec-Ch-Ua-Platform: "Linux"

to this :

Sec-Ch-Ua-Platform: "Windows"

Back