Ethernet card is not detected by FreeBSD 9.1

Hi,

I installed FreeBSD 9.1 on a desktop which has an Intel DH87MC motherboard with an Intel Core i5 4430 processor. Linux is listing the Ethernet card as
Code:
# lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 04)
But FreeBSD failed to detect it. So I need to install any special driver for it?

Thanks.

Then I have to wait till until the driver is released? How do I get an update about this driver, and do you have any idea how long it would take?

Thanks.

FreeBSD generally does not split the code up like that. That Intel download is just the em(4) driver, but it came out in July. It may be only in -CURRENT, or that latest version may not have been imported to FreeBSD yet.

But we have no specifics on what "FreeBSD failed to detect it" actually means. Sometimes that means someone used to Linux just did not see the eth0 device, which FreeBSD does not do. What really needs to be shown is the output of ifconfig and pciconf -lv from FreeBSD.

Try sudo kldload em0. This will try to load the em(4) driver. Reboot the system and post ifconfig -a output. If you don't see em0 anywhere on ifconfig -a, then I guess the driver didn't work (but still post the results here).

Hi, I will try these suggestions this weekend. I am a little busy with a project release. Sorry about that.

Thanks.

All in your own time, no rush ;)

If the above fails you could try the latest candidate for 9.2. Perhaps it has already been added.

Hi gurus,

Last night I downloaded a driver from the Intel website and installed it. Something is completely gone wrong. I am not getting a login prompt. I will have to reinstall :(

I will keep you posted about my efforts.

Thanks.

SirDice said:
All in your own time, no rush ;)

If the above fails you could try the latest candidate for 9.2. Perhaps it has already been added.

I tried with kldload em0 but no use. Shall I try freeBSD10 FreeBSD 10-ALPHA?

Thanks.

The em(4) driver is already part of the GENERIC kernel. Loading the module again will make no difference.

Before trying FreeBSD 10, it may save time to provide the information requested above, like specifically what "failed to detect it" means, and the output of various commands.

Back