error when running 'pkg update'

Code:
pkg update
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100%    7 MiB   7.0MB/s    00:01   
Processing entries:   0%
Newer FreeBSD version for package zxing-cpp:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1302001
- running kernel: 1301000
Ignore the mismatch and continue? [y/N]: N
pkg: repository FreeBSD contains packages for wrong OS version: FreeBSD:13:amd64
Processing entries: 100%
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories!

I am using version 13.1
I suspect it's time to upgrade to version 13.2

How do I best resolve this error?

That's a good new for all the apps depending on kernel modules (like emulators/virtualbox-ose).
In the past, I have ignored the mismatch several times without any adverse effect (but not concerning textproc/zxing-cpp).

Yes, it's the best time to upgrade to 13.2-RELEASE. :)

I upgraded from 13.1 to 13.2 and the upgrade went well.

Only thing is VirtualBox is completely unusable now.
When I open VirtualBox I get the following error message:

Bus error (core dumped)

It is important that VirtualBox keeps working without any issue.
A huge number of online training courses use VirtualBox images that you must use in order to take the course.

Did you run pkg upgrade after upgrade of the OS?
It's better to reboot just after in order to reload all kernel modules.

if you did a pkg upgrade after upgrading to 13.2, try
Code:
pkg-static upgrade -f
instead.

Indeed. I had already done pkg upgrade.

I find little information about the command you give now. What exactly does it do?

When I try this new command it wants to download around 4 GB of new packages which is a lot.

Is it a safe command to do?

It's safe and sometimes mandatory when you have some lib version mismatch. I don't use it when I upgrade as the system is supposed to remains ok. See pkg-static(8).

What makes difference here is the "-f" flag: pkg-upgrade(8) as it reinstalls all your packages. Maybe a solution if you have already rebooted.

It's safe and sometimes mandatory when you have some lib version mismatch. I don't use it when I upgrade as the system is supposed to remains ok. See pkg-static(8).

What makes difference here is the "-f" flag: pkg-upgrade(8) as it reinstalls all your packages. Maybe a solution if you have already rebooted.
I will run the command tomorrow.
Today I'm going to waste too much time otherwise.

You can find some info in the handbook Chapter 26. It is where it mentions upgrading packages with pkg-static, and there is also a note in that chapter stating that kernel modules that work for 13.1 doesn't mean they work for 13.2 (as an example, by coincidentally too). If you have a lot of packages, it is a bit of work, but might be better when you upgrade point releases too ( not just major versions); but you can skip pkg upgrade and just use pkg-static (you don't need both. for future ref)

You can find some info in the handbook Chapter 26. It is where it mentions upgrading packages with pkg-static, and there is also a note in that chapter stating that kernel modules that work for 13.1 doesn't mean they work for 13.2 (as an example, by coincidentally too). If you have a lot of packages, it is a bit of work, but might be better when you upgrade point releases too ( not just major versions); but you can skip pkg upgrade and just use pkg-static (you don't need both. for future ref)
Thanks for the info. I executed the pkg-static upgrade -f command today, but it didn't solve the issue.
I find it suspicious that I am the only person with this VirtualBox Bus error issue on FreeBSD 13.2
I will try to investigate it a bit further. Maybe I have a configuration problem but it always worked in the past.

Back