Doubt if FreeBSD 14 supports Nvme 2TB?

Important to know: I'm new to FreeBSD and I may have done something wrong!

My first FreeBSD installation on an Acer Nitro 5 Laptop, I used Nvme 2Tb Kingston SNV2S2000G
I don't remember if I used the MBR partition or if I used GPT, but I also tried to install using the installer's automatic format, which must have used ZFS.
And I was obviously scared, when it arrived at the screen to configure the root password, it presented the errors shown in the image, I was afraid of ruining my Nvme.

I would like to know if someone looking at the attached image could clarify for me whether FreeBSD would work on the Nvme mentioned above, or some information so that I could understand what happened, and if I can try again, without the risk of ruining my Nvme.

Currently, I was successful in installing FreeBSD on a 512GB nvme.

Thanks

Attachments

• erro-nvme.jpg
    erro-nvme.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 90
One of my systems is currently running on a 480GB Kingston NVMe for it's main storage running ZFS. I've not had any issues with it so far. It's running FreeBSD 14.0

One of my systems is currently running on a 480GB Kingston NVMe for it's main storage running ZFS. I've not had any issues with it so far. It's running FreeBSD 14.0

I didn't understand your answer!
Because using a 512GB Nvme I'm using FreeBSD without any problems, even posting here! As I say in the question, my problem is with the 2TB nvme that I detailed in the question!

Looks like a broken NVMe, or some BIOS problem.

I have never seen that error.

Is the system working, anyway?

Looks like a broken NVMe, or some BIOS problem.

I have never seen that error.

Is the system working, anyway?

The 2TB Nvme using Linux with ext4 has been working without any errors for 3 months.

What I want to do is use it with FreeBSD, I'm thinking about trying again, but I'm not sure if FreeBSD 14.0 works and recognizes a 2TB Nvme.

My concern, is if FreeBSD doesn't support it, it could damage my Nvme. But if it supports it, I'll try again, as I have more experience now in formatting and partitioning correctly, so much so that I'm using FreeBSD on a 512GB Nvme

That's why the detail of the question including the Nvme model

My first FreeBSD installation on an Acer Nitro 5 Laptop, I used Nvme 2Tb Kingston SNV2S2000G
I don't remember if I used the MBR partition or if I used GPT, but I also tried to install using the installer's automatic format, which must have used ZFS.
And I was obviously scared, when it arrived at the screen to configure the root password, it presented the errors shown in the image, I was afraid of ruining my Nvme.

I would like to know if someone looking at the attached image could clarify for me whether FreeBSD would work on the Nvme mentioned above, or some information so that I could understand what happened, and if I can try again, without the risk of ruining my Nvme.

Thanks

Thanks
It shouldjust be a garmless warning

Thanks
Looks like it supports it just fine. It's a bit noisy in trying to set some features that are optional. This feature is optional. We should likely set the don't print an error flag on it though. Any other issues?

Warner

Using UEFI and GPT.

The impression it really seems is that FreeBSD 14.0 Release does not support Kingston's 2TB Nvme.

With the Nvme without any partition table, and without any other disk on the laptop, I booted from the pendrive to perform the installation. And just when booting the pendriver it already shows errors when detecting the 2TB Nvme, images attached.

There are 6 lines of nvme0. With 3 at the top and 3 at the bottom after the 5 lines of recognition of nda0

nvme-error-.jpg

Skipping the boot and going to installation, it gives an error as soon as I create the GPT partition table, and insists on giving errors every time I create a partition, and if I choose AUTO, both ZFS and UFS give an error in the root password as shows the previous images attached

erro-ao-criar-gpt-.jpg

The same occurs with version 15.0 Current.
Which leads me to believe that there is a lack of kernel support for this Nvme.

So, if anyone can provide real information regarding the problem, I would appreciate it, as there is a HUGE difference between not being able to use a 2TB disk and being forced to use a 512GB disk only, I need to understand what is happening!

As a reminder, this Nvme works perfectly on Arch Linux, Debian and Slackware. It had been in use since DEC/2023 on Arch Linux, I deleted its partition table TODAY to definitely test it!

Thanks for any help!

Nah...
In this case it l9oks to be a harmless error.. unless I'm missing something
It doesn't seem to be a harmless error, because the system insists on repeating, repeating the message all the time, and you can't even use the shell like that, imagine, you type the command ls -la to see your files and everything gets messed up with countless Nvme error msg.

There are not many search results. Possible cause may be harmless, media overheating, media error:

- https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2022-May/002031.html

- https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2020-April/092277.html

- https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2018-May/052783.html

You should ask on the FreeBSD mailing lists. Chances are higher to get an helpful reply from a base system developer there than here. If you do, please don't forget to update this thread.

you can't even use the shell like that, imagine, you type the command ls -la to see your files and everything gets messed up with countless Nvme error msg.
The error messages are displayed only in the console (ttyv0), but not in the virtual consoles (ttyv1 - ttyv7). It's even possible to silence those messages from /etc/syslog.conf (not recommended).

To proceed with the installation without spamed by the error messages change into a virtual console.

At the "Welcome" menu, drop to "LiveCD", change to virtual console ttyv4 (Alt+F5), log in with user "root", execute sh /etc/rc.local

14.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE #0 releng/14.0-n265380-f9716eee8ab4: Fri Nov 10 05:57:23 UTC 2023
Supermicro MBD-X10DRW-E-O Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4 (2) RAM DDR4 256Gb
SuperMicro RSC-R1UW-2E16 Riser Card
Kingston NV2 SSD M.2 [SNV2S/2000G]

Installed today FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE on it.

1713645696868.png

Looks like an issue in particular related to your Kingston NVMe. I would try a different vendor just to ensure nothing else is causing that behavior and create a bug report afterwards.

I have been running FreeBSD as a daily driver on a 2TB NVMe from Intel with ZFS without any issue since 2022. Currently I’m running the latest 14-Release.

Back