Did I screw up ports?

When I want to install a port, ports seems to ignore any config option.

When I run portsdb -Uu, I get this error:
Code:
Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait.."/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk", line 154: warning: Missing closing parenthesis for defined()
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk", line 154: Malformed conditional (!defined(WITH_"ISO-8859-2 fonts support") && !defined(WITHOUT_"ISO-8859-2 fonts support"))
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6428: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk", line 150: warning: Missing closing parenthesis for defined()
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk", line 150: Malformed conditional (!defined(WITH_"ISO-8859-2 fonts support") && !defined(WITHOUT_"ISO-8859-2 fonts support"))
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6428: if-less endif
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
===> databases/rrdtool10 failed
*** Error code 1

failed to generate INDEX!
portsdb: index generation error

Whet got screwed up and how can I fix this?

This appears to be a common error. I'm guessing something didn't go as planned in the ports tree.

Similar (if not exactly the same) issue: Thread 32367

The ports system still doesn't work on 6.x versions of FreeBSD. I know 6.x is EOL now, but a plenty of them still using in production, and broken ports system is a real PITA for its owners. :-(

RedRat said:
The ports system still doesn't work on 6.x versions of FreeBSD. I know 6.x is EOL now, but a plenty of them still using in production, and broken ports system is a real PITA for it's owners. :-(

End-of-Life means exactly that. People that are still running it should consider updating a.s.a.p.

Besides ports not being able to compile there are also no security updates. The longer you keep running an EoL system the bigger the risk it will get hacked.

The ports system won't be fixed for 6.x by the port maintainers, you have basically two options.

1) Fix it yourself and maintain your own fixes yourself (or hire someone else to do those tasks).

2) Upgrade to a supported version of FreeBSD.

I have one system on 7.0-RELEASE and another on 8.0-RELEASE (Yeah, I know, I need to upgrade). The last portupgrade broke things similar to the original post (or maybe this is a different problem altogether). There appears to be a problem with processing OPTIONS in bsd.options.mk. The for loop is parsing the description string on the spaces, which it shouldn't do. So

FOO "Option to enable FOOing" on

Gets parsed as:
FOO
"Option
to
enable
FOOing"
on

I haven't seen a bug report on this yet.

SirDice said:
People that are still running it should consider updating a.s.a.p.

Sometimes it's just impossible. For example, we use on FreeBSD 6 server a very old billing system, which works fine, but can't be compiled on FreeBSD 8. Yeah, we will change it to another, more modern billing system eventually, but it will take a lot of time and efforts.

As I can see, all the problems with a new ports options system related to the wrong .for statement handling. Maybe it can be worked around by installing another make version from a ports?

Is it possible to do it remotely without physical access to the server? Does the freebsd-update utility preserve the previous kernel configuration? I'm using geom mirror even for root partition, I'm afraid of disrupting something.

Yes, I usually update all my servers remotely, using make [build|install]world, not freebsd-update.

You can load the geom_mirror module from loader.conf, but even it fails to load, the OS will start fine, you just have to rebuild a mirror using the gmirror rebuild command.

Thanks, I'll try, but I doubt that system will start fine without geom_mirror loaded, because there are /dev/mirror/* paths in the /etc/fstab file.

Just delete the file

Hi,
I had the same issue on FreeBSD 7. I just deleted the bsd.options.mk file and then touched a blank file with the name to satisfy the MakeFile. The ports tree for FreeBSD 6 and 7 did not originally come with the file and it's not 100% needed. The fix worked for me on an old FreeBSD7 box that I can't upgrade just yet.

cd /usr/ports/Mk/
rm bsd.options.mk
touch /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.options.mk

Go test your port :).

Back