Dealing with slow ssh?

My ssh is very slow today and I keep getting kicked off. Is there a way to make the system hang on for a little longer or to connect back to the same session so I don't have to keep getting back to root.

Well last night I connected into a windows computer on the site and sshed into this FreeBSD box thinking that the connection would be more stable, but when I checked this morning some network error had closed my putty instance during a build.

So what happens when we lose connection during a build with pretty much default settings? Did I possibly ruin anything? I was running the command:

Code:
# make buildworld

mrhobbeys said:
So what happens when we lose connection during a build with pretty much default settings? Did I possibly ruin anything? I was running the command:

Code:
# make buildworld

Just be thankful you weren't in the middle of an "installworld". (That could have caused a serious problem.)

From this point, simply start over:
Code:
# cd /usr/src && make cleanworld

Take it from there. And, as already mentioned, if you're on an unstable connection, use sysutils/tmux! Don't forget. Sooner or later you'll get burned. (It's not fun.)

If you feel adventurous you can try skipping the clean -part and resume the compilation by:

# make -D NO_CLEAN buildworld in /usr/src

mrhobbeys said:
So what happens when we lose connection during a build with pretty much default settings?
Just to answer this bit. Everything you started and was running has now stopped. That's one of the downsides. A lost connection will send a HUP signal to your processes. HUP is aptly named, it stands for Hang UP.

Just install sysutils/tmux. Run tmux and start your build. If you lose your connection log back in and run tmux att (short for attach). The build would have continued to run and you'll be able to "re-connect" to the session. It can be a real lifesaver, especially on flaky connections.

mrhobbeys said:
Well last night I connected into a windows computer on the site and sshed into this FreeBSD box thinking that the connection would be more stable, but when I checked this morning some network error had closed my putty instance during a build.

Code:
# make buildworld

Keep it simple and put your build job in the background

Code:
make buildworld >& make.out & tail -f make.out

Then if you loose the connection the job won't be affected.

Back