CUPS not working

Hi!

I have 2 machines running FreeBSD, both 9.1 with same updates. I'm able to print on one of them with cups and my new brother printer and with the pdf printer (print/cups-pdf), too. On the other machine I installed cups and cups-pdf as well as my brother printer in the same way I guess but I'm not able to print with either one of them due to different errors.
A first step would be to be able to print with the pdf printer, but if I send any Job to it (regardless how) say a test page via the cups web-interface the printer gets halted and a
Code:
pending since
Fri Apr 5 17:43:40 2013 
"/usr/local/libexec/cups/backend/cups-pdf failed"
in the status line. /var/log/cups/error_log doesn't provide a useful info for me, even with debug mode set for cupsd.
The brother printer completes the jobs but doesn't print anything. In status appears
Code:
completed at
Fri Apr 5 17:31:24 2013 
"No pages found!"

I have no idea because the two machines are configured pretty much the same way I guess. The user is in the cups group and printing as root gives the same results.

Does anybody have an idea at least for the pdf-printer to work on from there?

cr4ckerjack said:
Hi!
I have no idea because the two machines are configured pretty much the same way I guess. The user is in the cups group and printing as root gives the same results.

Does anybody have an idea at least for the pdf-printer to work on from there?

You can try to increase the loglevel of CUPS,
Code:
LogLevel debug
in cupsd.conf.

I finally solved both problems myself with a bit of testing and digging in the log files. For cups-pdf I had to change the security options in cupsd.conf so the username is sent to the job and in cups-pdf.conf I had a configuration for output with something like
Code:
Out ~/cups-pdf
which did not work for the "Anonymous" user.

The issue related to the other printer was due to options I selected during print/ghostscript9 install. I reinstalled it with more driver options and that solved the issue.

-> solved

Back