Config for the wireguard service kernel module based

Hi all!
Is it possible to load the wg-interface configuration through a setting in rc.conf without using the devd hook?
On FreeBSD v.14 my wireguard service run under that config:

Bash:
# cat /boot/loader.conf | grep wg
if_wg_load="YES"
#
# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep wg
cloned_interfaces="wg"
ifconfig_wg0="inet 192.168.68.1 netmask 255.255.255.240"
#
# cat /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf
[Interface]
PrivateKey = ****************************************=
ListenPort = 45045

[Peer]
# HomeDesktop
PublicKey = *****************************************=
AllowedIPs = 192.168.68.2/32

[Peer]
# HomePad
PublicKey = ...

For load wireguard config file, I was need to create ``devd`` hook file:
Bash:
# cat /etc/devd/wireguard.conf
notify 0 {
    match "system"    "IFNET";
    match "type"      "LINK_UP";
    media-type        "unknown";
    action ". /etc/rc.subr
            . /etc/network.subr
            load_rc_config network
            if autoif $subsystem && [ -r /etc/wireguard/$subsystem.conf ]
            then
                    grep -vE '^[[:space:]]*(Address|DNS|MTU|Table|PreUp|PostUp|PreDown|PostDown)[[:space:]]*=' /etc/wireguard/$subsystem.conf |
                            wg setconf $subsystem /dev/stdin
            fi";
};

Question: is it possible to load the interface configuration through a setting in rc.conf without using the devd hook?

Wireguard does, bat it deemed insecure, deprecated and no longer supported. Recommended to using kernel module and driver 'wg'.

Wireguard does, bat it deemed insecure, deprecated and no longer supported. Recommended to using kernel module and driver 'wg'.
I am referring to the init scripted installed by net/wireguard-tools, which, as far as I know, is not deprecated, nor insecure.

/etc/rc.conf
wireguard_enable="YES"
wireguard_interfaces="wg0"
wireguard_interfaces can take multiple arguments, creating multiple Wireguard interfaces and the names correspond to the files in /etc/wireguard with '.conf' appended.

Try just this and see how it works.

You're right! It seemed to me that the wireguard-tool were included in a common dependent package wireguard and could not be installed separately. Thanks for the idea, I'll check it out.

Bash:
# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep "wg\|wire"
#cloned_interfaces="wg"
#ifconfig_wg0="inet 192.168.68.1 netmask 255.255.255.240"
wireguard_enable="YES"
wireguard_interfaces="wg0"

With the config on location ``/etc/wireguard/wg0.conf`` all works as expected, with a small change - a line indicating the IP-address has been added to the configuration file ``wg0.conf``

It seemed to me that the wireguard-tool were included in a common dependent package wireguard and could not be installed separately.
net/wireguard is a meta-package that installs net/wireguard-kmod, wireguard-tools, and net/wireguard-go (I think that's all). The package is not the old Wireguard implementation, which I think you may be talking about.

I just now learned:
According to this thread, only net/wireguard-tools is needed, just for the init script. I guess you can only install that if it matters.

With the config on location ``/etc/wireguard/wg0.conf`` all works as expected, with a small change - a line indicating the IP-address has been added to the configuration file ``wg0.conf``
By the way, maybe useful if you're unaware, you can have the configuration files be named anything, thus the interfaces, making management of multiple Wireguard interfaces much easier.

I usually have their names their location or the domain of the system they're hosted on.

net/wireguard is a meta-package that installs net/wireguard-kmod, wireguard-tools, and net/wireguard-go (I think that's all). The package is not the old Wireguard implementation, which I think you may be talking about.

I just now learned:
According to this thread, only net/wireguard-tools is needed, just for the init script. I guess you can only install that if it matters.
Sorry, I was rather incorrect/uninformed.

Don't install the net/wireguard package, only wireguard-tools. The meta port contains the mentioned net/wireguard-kmod, wireguard-tools, and net/wireguard-go, of which -kmod and -go are no longer needed (since FreeBSD 12).

You were correct about net/wireguard installing the old kernel module, my apologies.

Back