Chromium

I set it to 0 but still crashes. I also saw Chromium-clang but i was not sure which one i should choose.
Is better to install Chromium-clang? When i installed chrome was perfect running and i made it flash player work :) . But after reboot chrome stop working unexpectedly.

Chromium-clang works fine here (FreeBSD 8.1 / amd64). It even made Flash work better (some embedded flash didn't work in the port, it does with this clang version). There's nothing to install: just unpack and run. It can coexist with the installed port.

It was already taken down. It was up for only two or three days (to get more subscribers).

The ports version is a regular Chrome 5. The clang version was Chrome 7.

The .tbz is a package, the one from the site was a 'build' (a self-contained directory with executable):

Code:
-rwxr-xr-x chrome
-rwxr-xr-x chrome-wrapper
-rw-r--r-- chrome.1
-rw-r--r-- chrome.pak
drwx------ extensions
drwxr-xr-x locales
-rwxr-xr-x mksnapshot
-rw-r--r-- product_logo_48.png
-rwxr-xr-x protoc
drwxr-xr-x resources
-rw-r--r-- resources.pak
-rwxr-xr-x xdg-settings

Chromium and flash

Hello.
I've just installed chromium from ports. In some aspects it's better then Firefox (it seems to be lighter) and Konqueror (HTML5 support, normal work with google buzz). But I haven't managed to install Adobe Flash yet. I have npwrapper.libflashplayer.so in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/, but I just don't know what should I do for Chromium to see this plugin... Could someone help me?

With flash 10 I didn't made it. But with Flash 9 this is the step I did to make it work with chromium: Install nspluginwrapper & linux-flashplugin9 from ports.
Run
Code:
nspluginwrapper -a -v -i
If sound doesn't work:
Code:
cd /compact/linux/lib
ln -s libssl.so.7 libssl.so.5
Also there is alternative way witch is gnash.

I've created directory /usr/local/share/chromium/plugins/ and symbolic link /usr/local/share/chromium/plugins/libflashplayer.so -> /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
This helped...
Now it would be good to make chromium store his passwords in kwallet. I guess I just should install kdebase-runtime-4.5.1 in build jail and recompile chromium.

DutchDaemon said:
Chromium 7 is not available as a package to anyone but paying subscribers. This is the funding and development model that the person doing the porting effort has chosen. We have to respect that: http://chromium.hybridsource.org/

Ok, then what is it?

The 'build' (a self-contained directory with executable) of chromium 7
http://www.filedropper.com/chromium-clang
http://www.easy-share.com/1912452945/chromium-clang.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/42205721...mium-clang.rar

??? Anyway thanks

The first successful clang build was made available for testing by the developer for a short while, and there were some snapshots and packages made available along the way. I'm assuming that that's one of them. It's bound to be several versions and fixes behind. Note that the developer himself is in this thread, and the fact the he hasn't protested probably means this was one of the public releases. I advise everyone not to upload, and/or link to, material that's not released by the developer for general use.

Note that the developer himself is in this thread, and the fact the he hasn't protested probably means this was one of the public releases. I advise everyone not to upload, and/or link to, material that's not released by the developer for general use.
Is Chrome that was available for download for a while. On ports we have chromium 5. This is Chromium 7 build. If developer have any problem of course I will remove links. I uploaded without any bad intention, just for help to anyone that want it because after some time was not available on site http://chromium.hybridsource.org/

It's not a problem, I know version 7 was available for for download a few days (to announce, testdrive, and demonstrate the clang build). In fact, that's where I got mine initially.

With flash 10 I didn't made it. But with Flash 9 this is the step I did to make it work with chromium: Install nspluginwrapper & linux-flashplugin9 from ports.
I'm a longtime firefox user, and with working flash10 in ff after 'import from firefox' in chromium everything works flawlessly.

But, you know, chromium is way to smart for me. It suggests me some strange things that i do not want, it shows some 'pop-bars' on the top of the page when i don't want to see them, etc.

I've installed uzbl (that got fixed somehow from some fatal errors i got last time i've installed it) and now im totally happy with my web browsing environment.

The about:memory feature is good to have. I just tried it and with Firefox having 35 windows open and Chromium only 6, the comparison is educational:

Code:
	 Memory 
Browser	 Private	 Proportional
Chrome 503,168k	N/A k
Konqueror 5,048k	N/A k
Epiphany 360,744k	N/A k
Firefox 319,104k	N/A k
Firefox 318,948k	N/A k
Opera 470,276k	N/A k
What's particularly interesting is that I only have one instance of Firefox, and none of Konqueror. It also missed Galeon, so presumably one needs to learn to interpret these results. Anyway, I've been using Chrome along with my regular suite of browsers for a while now and I'm starting to like it. I'm just a little worried about the memory usage because I prefer to open in windows rather than tabs and, unlike Firefox, I don't think it's really made for that. We'll see how it goes.

OJ said:
Chrome 503,168k N/A k
... We'll see how it goes.
I had about 3-4 tabs open in chrome when the nightly periodic (3 am?) run with the intensive "find" process(es) made for a sudden crash-to-fsck. Never had that happen with any other browser...that I can remember. (With port builds, yes).

... We'll see how it goes.
As if I didn't have enough to cope with right now, Chromium on my Kubuntu 8.04 box just ate the rest of my 3 GB of memory and went to 50% CPU usage while I wasn't even using it. The machine all of a sudden slowed to a crawl and when I ran top to see who was doing it, there it was - right at the top - doing it's own thing. :) Hopefully when I get all moved to BSD it will do better there.

Back