Changing architecture?

Hello,

something just keeps bothering me, and it's likely a stupid question, but bear with me. Is it possible to install x86 FreeBSD, and then, sometime when we get a 64-bit driver for NVIDIA cards, change it to 64-bit? I mean without reinstalling, but - for lack of a better word - rather recompiling the system?

I know on Linux it's practically impossible (again, I may be wrong about this too), how is it on FreeBSD?

AFAIK no.
You'll have to backup your data and do a fresh install.
You may want to hear other (and more updated) bells.

Dinchamion said:
Hello,

something just keeps bothering me, and it's likely a stupid question, but bear with me. Is it possible to install x86 FreeBSD, and then, sometime when we get a 64-bit driver for NVIDIA cards, change it to 64-bit? I mean without reinstalling, but - for lack of a better word - rather recompiling the system?

I know on Linux it's practically impossible (again, I may be wrong about this too), how is it on FreeBSD?

If you have more than one slice(FreeBSD partition):

Code:
Filesystem  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a /
/dev/ad0s1b /var
/dev/ad0s1d /tmp
/dev/ad0s1e /usr/home
/dev/ad0s1f /usr/local
/dev/ad0s1g /usr/src
/dev/ad0s1h /usr/obj
/dev/ad0s1i /usr/ports
/dev/ad0s1j swap

You then install amd64 world+kernel on /dev/ad0s1h:/usr/obj partition and boot from it
via boot:

Replace:
Code:
>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
     Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
     boot:

with:
Code:
>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
     Default: 0:ad(0,h)/boot/loader
     boot:

In other words you type ad(0,h)/boot/loader before usual loader screen shows up.

I do wonder what'd happen if you compiled an amd64 system and did an installkernel installworld, reboot. :)

Back