Solved Can't get remote xterm on FreeBSD14

I've been using FreeBSD for many years as a remote (co-lo'd) webserver. I maintain it from a Windows machine at my home, using 'xming' and 'putty' to start and run a remote 'xterm'.

I have a new (well, old, but new to me) Dell R730 raid server. I've installed FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE. Most everything seems fine, except that I cannot get xterm/etc to work. I simply get back "can't open display localhost:10.0". My existing xming is showing xterm and xload in another window from an old FreeBSD12 server, so I know that that's still working. I've checked the "tunnel x11" settings for this connection, they match settings on the old ones.

I've spent hours googling, but there's very little real help as it's such a lame generic error. Most of the people with problems have their x session on the FreeBSD server, and their problems seem to stem from their graphics card being incompatible or some such. That's not an issue here, it's just a connection problem.

Can anyone point me to logfiles or anything that would help me figure out what's going wrong?

X11 Forwarding is disabled by default in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on FreeBSD 14. You could add sshd_flags="-o X11Forwarding=yes" to/etc/rc.conf on the server and then service sshd restart.

Why not merely ssh in?
I'm using putty, which is just ssh. In the old days, that ssh window was not resizable, so I started using an xterm. I also keep an xload running so I need the X11 graphics capabilities. Yes, a modern putty window can be resized, and I can live without xload, but... Now, for no reason that I can see, this suddenly stopped working. If I've discovered a problem in the 14.0 release, I need to investigate.

X11 Forwarding is disabled by default in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on FreeBSD 14. You could add sshd_flags="-o X11Forwarding=yes" to/etc/rc.conf on the server and then service sshd restart.
I had a feeling it was something like that! Guess I should have taken more trouble to read the release notes, it is in there. I've added flags as suggested, and now all is well. Thank you!

Would you mind marking the thread as "Solved"? That may make it easier for people with the same problem to find the solution. Thanks!

Ah, right. I mistakenly thought my test server was still running 13.2. But I upgraded it recently.

Would you mind marking the thread as "Solved"? That may make it easier for people with the same problem to find the solution. Thanks!
I looked for a "solved" button but did not find it. Looks like a moderator has already taken care of that for me, thank you!

Back