Bounties: do they work?

I have been hoping my laptop's wireless card would be supported for some time. If I could do it myself, I would, but I haven't any experience in kernel drivers, only applications and those not as impressive as other folks might have.

I'd heard somewhere that other projects have "bounties" -- basically folks putting up money to make certain features more attractive to developers. Turns out someone is running a bounty site for FreeBSD at http://www.freebsdbounties.info/ so I created an account and posted a bounty.

Do folks here think this is a viable approach for FreeBSD features? Or is this just silly? Is there a better way?

Do any of the devs read freebsdbounties.info ?

I mean: I can't think of anything more useless than ranting in a vacuum.

("oh, God. I'm useless." he screamed into the uptake hose of his hoover.)

mathuin said:
Do folks here think this is a viable approach for FreeBSD features? Or is this just silly? Is there a better way?
Hi there,
I'm the developer of http://www.freebsdbounties.info
I created the site because as you say, other projects have bounties, and I've seen a few projects that have quite a lot of bounties (such as pfsense). There wasn't a way of recording bounties for FreeBSD before (though I had seen it proposed over a year earlier), so I thought I'd give it a try.
fronclynne said:
Do any of the devs read freebsdbounties.info ?
"I don't know" is the answer. Traffic is fairly low to the site at the moment, but it is there. It has been posted on the FreeBSD mailing list (freebsd-chat@), so it's not entirely unannounced, but it hasn't gained real momentum.... (yet).
fronclynne said:
Also:
Things That Inspire Confidence, Part VI.022xX^XXVII:
It has been on my to-do list for a couple of months now, so I've done it now. A developer can register their interest, and the bounty owner will be notified by email. I have more ideas for the site, but I can only afford to spare a small amount of time for it at the moment.

To mathuin, thanks for posting your bounty - to others, please feel free to post one!

Happy bounty posting!

Hywel

@hmallet: Are you still in contact with Matt Olander from ixystems?
AFAIR you wanted to merge your FreeBSD Bounty sites.

Hm, perhaps you should drop him a mail about it? There's no need to invent the wheel twice and if you both work together you can probably more people to participate.

Both sites appear pretty unmaintained and old...

The FreeBSD foundation does sponsored projects, which is more or less the same (A developer gets money to develop a specific feature).
IMHO this would get a lot more attention & momentum if the FreeBSD foundation would take up some sort of bounty program ...

Back