Boot Error booting from usb

Hi all, i'm trying to install freebsd 8 from usb but i encountered some problems!
First of all i am not on freebsd but on linux.
I downloaded the .img file for usb stick and wita a dd command (dd if=8.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img of=/dev/sde1 bs=10240 conv=sync)
i copied all into my usb stick (as described in the wiki).
But when i put the pen on my netbook it says boot error!
I also tried with unetbootbin but it freezes when try to make the stick bootable!!

How can i do to install freebsd 8 from usb??

thank you!

Xeo84 said:
Hi all, i'm trying to install freebsd 8 from usb but i encountered some problems!
First of all i am not on freebsd but on linux.
I downloaded the .img file for usb stick and wita a dd command (dd if=8.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img of=/dev/sde1 bs=10240 conv=sync)
i copied all into my usb stick (as described in the wiki).
But when i put the pen on my netbook it says boot error!
I also tried with unetbootbin but it freezes when try to make the stick bootable!!

How can i do to install freebsd 8 from usb??

thank you!

Hi!
I had the same problem and i had resolve it. What i did.. At firts i tried copy image on linux system and after that i every time saw the message "Boot error". On dmesg messages i saw that memstick had resolved like "/dev/sdb" and "/dev/sdb1". Handbook says that you must write img directly on device, not at partition. But I could wrote image at partition only "sdb1". Well, I found working freebsd host and had research dmesg messsages about my memstick. I saw messages "/dev/da0%" and "/dev/da0a1%". I erased memstick completely by "dd" copy from "/dev/zero" to "/dev/da0" and after that copyed img to memstick by command from handbook.
Code:
dd if=imagename.img of=/dev/da0 bs=10240 conv=sync
After that my memstick had resolved "/dev/da0" and "/dev/da0a". And it boot now! =)
I hope it could be help..

alff said:
Hi!
I had the same problem and i had resolve it. What i did.. At firts i tried copy image on linux system and after that i every time saw the message "Boot error". On dmesg messages i saw that memstick had resolved like "/dev/sdb" and "/dev/sdb1". Handbook says that you must write img directly on device, not at partition. But I could wrote image at partition only "sdb1". Well, I found working freebsd host and had research dmesg messsages about my memstick. I saw messages "/dev/da0%" and "/dev/da0a1%". I erased memstick completely by "dd" copy from "/dev/zero" to "/dev/da0" and after that copyed img to memstick by command from handbook.
Code:
dd if=imagename.img of=/dev/da0 bs=10240 conv=sync
After that my memstick had resolved "/dev/da0" and "/dev/da0a". And it boot now! =)
I hope it could be help..

Thanks for reply but i don't have a working freebsd host!
I'm trying to build it!
I know that the DD command is different between bsd and linux and this is the problem!
I can't use freebsd to make a bootable usb of freebsd!! this is a nonsense!
I need a way to build a bootable usb device whithout freebsd!
I can't believe that to install a freebsd on a netbook (without optical device) i need freebsd alredy installed!

Xeo84 said:
Thanks for reply but i don't have a working freebsd host!!!
I'm trying to build it!!!!
I know that the DD command is different between bsd and linux and this is the problem!
I can't use freebsd to make a bootable usb of freebsd!! this is a nonsense!!!!
I need a way to build a bootable usb device whithout freebsd!!
I can't believe that to install a freebsd on a netbook (without optical device) i need freebsd alredy installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't panic! (c) 8)
My solution shows usefull steps only. Have you tried to do this steps on your OS?
You should do another steps:

1. Erase all data on memstick.
[cmd=]dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=128M[/cmd]
2. Write image to memstick.
[cmd=]dd if=/path/to/memstickfile.img of=/dev/sdb bs=10240 conv=sync[/cmd]

In my example memstick device name is "sdb"! If you have different name you should use your own.

alff said:
Don't panic! (c) 8)
My solution shows usefull steps only. Have you tried to do this steps on your OS?
You should do another steps:

1. Erase all data on memstick.
[cmd=]dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=128M[/cmd]
2. Write image to memstick.
[cmd=]dd if=/path/to/memstickfile.img of=/dev/sdb bs=10240 conv=sync[/cmd]

In my example memstick device name is "sdb"! If you have different name you should use your own.

I only did step 2, this evening i will try following step by step!!

Thanks again :)

Really, I love you! :-D

Thank you so much it works! And now i can install FreeBSD on my netbook!

And I have not succeeded, after step 1 you need to create a GUID Partition Table, create a file system?

Back