bhyve bhyve graphics install and vncviewer?

I don't get it. Setting up linux or windows with vm install xxx yyy.iso ("graphics=yes" and graphics_wait="yes" etc.), I should be able to connect via vncviewer 0.0.0.0:5900?
I never get a connection. When will the port be created, when do I have to connect etc.?
How and when can the X11 server in the guest be started (automatically)?
What is supposed to be shown in vm info?

In my experience, not every vncviewer works with bhyve. The one from tigervnc does.

Apart from that, your problem description isn't precise enough. How exactly does your vm configuration look like? Does vm list actually show it running, and with a VNC socket? Do you get any error messages? etc....

I have

graphics="yes"
graphics_port="5900"
graphics_res="1600x900"
graphics_wait="yes"
xhci_mouse="yes"

in the config.
But there is no "vnc" in the "vm info" and no port in "vm list" (running, but no port)
The vm-bhyve.log shows no fbuf in the bhyve command.

Someone could have pointed that out quite quickly if you had shared the whole config ....

But then: Why do you want these graphics? They're normally only meant as a "workaround" if you have a guest OS that only offers a console on the local screen (VGA ....).

If your goal is to run GUI (X11) applications in this vm, just use your local X server, e.g. simply by using X11-forwarding with SSH.

I have a quick howto that works for Windows. https://srobb.net/vm-bhyve.html
But yeah there are various limitations that don't seem to be mentioned in the usual places--I've only used it with vm-bhyve so I'm no expert. For example, RedHat and clones usually need 2048 megs of memory. That grub/uefi thing and graphics was something I found out when it wasn't working and I couldn't figure out why. The vm-bhyve wiki has some examples of working configs though they don't say if it just works, or works with graphics in most cases.
The wiki's main page is https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve/wiki and the examples are at https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve/wiki/Supported-Guest-Examples

I just wanted to have a quick look at "pop-os" (a linux which only allows graphical install).
2nd reason is a Windows guest.
I already have a linux vm with no problems using ssh.
So far I didn't come across any hint that graphics only works with uefi.
It also means it is impossible to run Windows 7 32bit.

It also means it is impossible to run Windows 7 32bit.
No. Why do you think so? If it doesn't have boot-code for uefi (I didn't check), you can always use "uefi-csm" for "classic" BIOS boot.

BTW, with Windows, you will need this graphics support for setup, because Windows doesn't come with any other way to have a "console". Still, for actually using the VM, it's much better to enable RDP and log in with e.g. net/freerdp.

I just did a quick install of pop_os using the centos7 template, and it worked pretty well.
I did change the memory from the default 512M to 2048M
Code:
vm create -t centos7 pop_os

laufdi sorry, can't tell you anything about THAT specific output.... I had some (64bit) Windows-7 running in bhyve, but that's quite some time ago (I don't want to run EOL software). All I can say is that I'd be very surprised if 32bit Win7 would NOT run in bhyve, I just see no reason why .... 🤷‍♂️

Firewall enabled on the host? Make sure you actually allow connections to the VNC ports.

Thanks, the problem is solved insofar as I need uefi, but I still can't start win7-32bit with uefi-csm ...

Back