Solved Bastille upgrading jail from 13.2 to 14.0 fails

Hi Friends,

The upgrade of my pebcak server fails when I try to upgrade my Bastille jail from 13.2 to 14.0.

Here my steps:

1. bastille stop gmid
  2. bastille bootstrap 14.0-RELEASE update
  3. bastille edit gmid fstab
  4. changed from /usr/local/bastille/releases/13.2-RELEASE /usr/local/bastille/jails/gmid/root/.bastille nullfs ro 0 0 to /usr/local/bastille/releases/14.0-RELEASE /usr/local/bastille/jails/gmid/root/.bastille nullfs ro 0 0
  5. bastille start gmid
  6. bastille pkg gmid pkg upgrade -f
And here fails:
Code:
[gmid]:
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.111" not found, required by "pkg"

If I revert from release 14.0 to 13.2 the jail works fine.

What am I doing wrong? 🤦‍♂️

Thanks!

libssl was updated in base for 14, the version of pkg you are running is for 13.2 and linked against the old (libssl.so.111) version. you can upgrade pkg in your jail by bootstrapping it with /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static after you have updated your base to 14 for the jail:
/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static bootstrap -f

of course you also need to consider updating your etc, and all other installed ports/pkgs as well, not sure if bastille has tooling for this sort of thing.

Oh... I understood... 🤔

Perhaps bastille jail documentation should be updated as well... 🤔

Actually I may recreate the jail since it only runs GMID and anything else... 🤔

Anyway thanks to your help these are the commands needed:

Code:
bastille cmd gmid /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static bootstrap -f
bastille cmd gmid /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static upgrade -f

I need to update my documentation too... 🤔

Well something is still wrong, I can't use some commands such as bastille pkg or bastille console 🤷‍♂️

You've also got to edit the files in the jail's /etc/pam.d/ to remove references to opie. Opie has been removed in 14.0.

Also, once you've upgraded pkg to the 14.0 version with bootstrap, you can just use pkg the way you normally would, eg 'pkg upgrade' or 'pkg upgrade -f'.

putney thank you, commenting out opie gave me again control over the jail!

But I have to say thank you to junkyalleycat that suggested me the right commands!

Now my, luckily, only jail is update to FreeBSD 14.0!!!

🎉🎉🎉

I'm using Thick jails but Bastille documentation seems to only cover Thin updates.
Because it is the same method for thin or thick jail if I am not mistaken, looking at the script called "update.sh" thick jails are taken into account:
Same thing for upgrade:

So apparently you are good to go, and if you are not sure feel free to make a backup/snapshot of your jail before the update.

You've also got to edit the files in the jail's /etc/pam.d/ to remove references to opie. Opie has been removed in 14.0.

Also, once you've upgraded pkg to the 14.0 version with bootstrap, you can just use pkg the way you normally would, eg 'pkg upgrade' or 'pkg upgrade -f'.
Hi there - same problem and following these steps.

but I wonder how I can edit /etc/pam.d within the jail when I have no possibility (anymore) to login via bastille console ?

but I wonder how I can edit /etc/pam.d within the jail when I have no possibility (anymore) to login via bastille console ?
You have access to any directory from the host. You just have to know where is located the bastille jails and if you don't know, read the bastille docs.

You have access to any directory from the host. You just have to know where is located the bastille jails and if you don't know, read the bastille docs.
Ah... totally... sorry. Yes I just edit it directly. Did so - everything works fine now ! Thanks for the Thread :)

Back