Solved Bare metal 12.2 -> 13.0 - Boots fine but with 640x480 video, console and X.

I just compiled 13.0 on my desktop, an HP 8500, i7-2600. It comes up fine but the video ignores resolution settings that work fine for 12.2-P6. (This is in a ZFS boot environment.) I know there's been a lot of changes but loader.conf vty is still vt so I don't know where to begin looking. The machine uses embedded Intel video chipset. Perhaps there's obsolete ports involved?

Of course not. :)
In the past I've had enormous trouble getting thunderbird to accept its own mail folders after even minor updates, so I haven't yet touched anything not "in system". Saw in /usr/src/UPDATING a conflict with Linux DRM but BEs let me take small steps. Not surprised a port update might be mandated for X, but console as well? That is a surprise.

To be precise, as long as you don't remove old libraries (if I'm not mistaken, that's what the third install would do with binary upgrades), packages for 12 would still work. Except of course for those containing kernel modules, like graphics/drm-kmod and the dependent packages, so for the graphics driver to work, you must reinstall at least this.

Anyways, reinstall everything, you don't want to keep the old libraries around forever.

Back