ATI Non-free driver?

Hi, I'm wondering if I can run GNU/Linux ATI's non-free on FreeBSD? I guess not since it's kernel modules involved but I have to ask since I'm adicted to a 3D game and need the 3D acceleration.

Thanks, and sorry if my english is bad.

kalle97 said:
Hi, I'm wondering if I can run GNU/Linux ATI's non-free on FreeBSD? I guess not since it's kernel modules involved but I have to ask since I'm adicted to a 3D game and need the 3D acceleration.
You guessed correctly.

It's a Mobility Radeon HD5145 but it's not in the 5xxx series it's rebranded older card, I don't know which serie it's rebranded from though, I'll try to find out! :)

Thanks for all response.

It's a rebranded 4800 ati. :)

Is the xf86-video-ati good for gaming, can I play with descent frame rate in Xonotic?

Seems the same as alienarena. Maybe there are config settings that will make it work. Otherwise, it's ten or fifteen seconds per frame.

Okey, I think I have to wait with installing FreeBSD then, there is an upcoming tournoment so I need good frame rate.

I think I spoke too soon. With video set to low quality and at 800x600, it runs at about 100 FPS here. There are probably other tricks.

Wow, nice. I must try FreeBSD when I get home.

Is it possible to dual-boot it with GRUB?
(really sorry for being off topic)

Okey, Xonotic is forked off Nexuiz, so I hope it'll work. I'm playing quite competive so I really need those extra frames per second. Thanks for the help!

wblock@ said:
The radeon driver from x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati has 2D and 3D acceleration for cards through the 4000 series.

On my desktop I have HD 4670, so I assume that should work OK?

Now I wonder, what is with HD 6320 on my netbook?

Does it have 2D or nothing except VESA driver can be used on those machines (native resolution is 1366x768) in 9.1??

Yes, the HD4670 should have basic 3D support, though even in 2D the driver is quite buggy.

As for the HD6320... It might support basic modesetting via the radeon driver (depending on what core is being used in that GPU) but, even if that's the case, there will be no 2D acceleration. There's a good chance that even the radeon driver won't work, and you will have to use vesa.

Adam

adamk said:
Yes, the HD4670 should have basic 3D support, though even in 2D the driver is quite buggy.

Huh...at least, it's possible to buy some cheap Nvidia cards and replace it.

As for the HD6320... It might support basic modesetting via the radeon driver (depending on what core is being used in that GPU) but, even if that's the case, there will be no 2D acceleration. There's a good chance that even the radeon driver won't work, and you will have to use vesa.

Using vesa is certainly not the option.

For now I put Linuxmint on the netbook which is very simple install without need for almost any tweaking...

Otoh, we're waiting for RC2 to put Free(PC)BSD on our desktop.

It works really well for me with ATI HD4650...good framerates in most games.
The only bugs I have encountered were related to GLX compositing (like compiz) and there are patches around for those. If you're getting 10fps, you have something wrong with DRI, or you have everything set to high on a card that would choke under any OS. Probably explains buggy if you were using Mesa software rendering, some games don't work so well like that.

Me either, but it's a good test for 3d. I was able to get rtcw to compile under freebsd and run, and it was quite playable.

You can tell if dri/drm is properly set up by installing mesa-demos and running
Code:
glxinfo | fgrep 'Render'

The result should mention your card/driver.

Back