AMD RYZEN 7000 SERIES SUPPORT

I am looking to buy a new Laptop with Amd Ryzen 7000 series processor.

Is this supported by FreeBSD especially Graphics Sound Temperature Sensors and the PCI 5.0 amongst other newer features that come with the 7000 series?

I don't know. You tell us on Monday :)

Is sound even integrated into the chipsets for 7000 series processors? Which laptop, specifically?

In all seriousness, the most important criteria for buying a new laptop right now (for any OS) is a good return policy.

Is OP talking about something like this?
1681702196593.png

I don't think that FreeBSD properly supports PCIe 5 or temp sensors on hardware that new... You'll be lucky if it even boots. I'm still struggling with N-key keyboard on a ROG Zephyrus laptop I bought last year (with a Ryzen 9 6900 HS), and wifi (a Realtek, iirc) is still not supported. And I don't think that Lenovo has AMD 7000 series laptops yet. So, don't jump the gun, do your research, and then decide if it's still worth it to dump a lot of money on a laptop that may or may not be even able to boot FreeBSD...

cracauer@ : I'd expect sound to be there, it's a matter of FreeBSD being able to support it.

Is this supported by FreeBSD especially Graphics Sound Temperature Sensors and the PCI 5.0 amongst other newer features that come with the 7000 series?

Am currently working on a Ryzen 7 7700 (yes, the non-X version, this thing is stupid fast as-is)
I've gotten to the point of identifying & loading the necessary iGPU firmware in the current DRM-KMOD 5.15-lts. It is non-functional, as expected, but we are getting somewhere. Do not expect this to be anywhere near functional until we land in DRM-KMOD 6.0 (perhaps LinuxKPI 5.19?), as it was buggy before support for Ryzen 7000 iGPU landed in Linux 6.0
As I understand it, the mobile Ryzen 7000 series is based largely on previous generation (pseudo-6000 series), and not just the iGPU execution units -- your mileage WILL vary.

amdtemp does not work (yet), I'm sorting this out right now. It looks to be somewhat different from how Ryzen 5000 is added. Not really a huge issue at the moment as manufacturers already pushed out safer BIOS revisions -- preventing 7000/7000X & 7000X3D CPUs from blowing themselves up.

If you *MUST* have a laptop with FreeBSD on it as your main OS, stick to hardware that's a few years old. Personally, I'm 100% satisfied with my Dell XPS 9380 -- everything I need, works like a charm. I don't give 0.0001 damns about the fingerprint reader not working. I use wifibox to manage the (soldered) WiFi NIC card, wifibox has actually become a pretty robust security feature now. You can thank me at my eulogy for pushing the rtsx development forward, from a few release cycles ago, when I happily worked on a Dell XPS 9360. Running Hyprland on both has been wonderful so far.

edit: -iGPUD +iGPU

Last edited:
If you *MUST* have a laptop with FreeBSD on it as your main OS, stick to hardware that's a few years old. Personally, I'm 100% satisfied with my Dell XPS 9380 -- everything I need, works like a charm. I don't give 0.0001 damns about the fingerprint reader not working. I use wifibox to manage the (soldered) WiFi NIC card, wifibox has actually become a pretty robust security feature now. You can thank me at my eulogy for pushing the rtsx development forward, from a few release cycles ago, when I happily worked on a Dell XPS 9360. Running Hyprland on both has been wonderful so far.

Is that thing doing suspend/resume successfully?

Am currently working on a Ryzen 7 7700 (yes, the non-X version, this thing is stupid fast as-is)
I've gotten to the point of identifying & loading the necessary iGPU firmware in the current DRM-KMOD 5.15-lts. It is non-functional, as expected, but we are getting somewhere. Do not expect this to be anywhere near functional until we land in DRM-KMOD 6.0 (perhaps LinuxKPI 5.19?), as it was buggy before support for Ryzen 7000 iGPUD landed in Linux 6.0
As I understand it, the mobile Ryzen 7000 series is based largely on previous generation (pseudo-6000 series), and not just the iGPU execution units -- your mileage WILL vary.
Mine is Ryzen 5 7600... and the iGPU is RDNA2, but it's a Raphael variant of it. Doing some homework, I discovered that Raphael is a couple generations newer than Yellow Carp (RX 6600). So your best bet right now is to either get an older card that's actually supported, or wait until Raphael graphics are supported by FreeBSD... The CPU itself is fine, it's fast, and plays with FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE well.

Last edited:

In terms of all-ok hardware support the best is the Gates brand of software. i.e Windows. I use a thinkpad T520. Lenovo. I use Freebsd 13.1. It boots in less time, it found all. Some combination of the funtion Keys do not work.

Is that thing doing suspend/resume successfully?
Yes indeed. For the XPS 9380, sometimes wifibox will complain when resuming -- to be expected, as it is based on a tiny Alpine VM via hardware passthru. A simple # wifibox restart handily deals with that if/when it has a hiccup. Getting good battery power endurance using Hyprland.

I've gotten to the point of identifying & loading the necessary iGPU firmware in the current DRM-KMOD 5.15-lts. It is non-functional, as expected, but we are getting somewhere. Do not expect this to be anywhere near functional until we land in DRM-KMOD 6.0 (perhaps LinuxKPI 5.19?), as it was buggy before support for Ryzen 7000 iGPU landed in Linux 6.0

amdtemp does not work (yet), I'm sorting this out right now. It looks to be somewhat different from how Ryzen 5000 is added. Not really a huge issue at the moment as manufacturers already pushed out safer BIOS revisions -- preventing 7000/7000X & 7000X3D CPUs from blowing themselves up.

edit: -iGPUD +iGPU
Hi,

What motherboard is used with this cpu?
I have R7 7700X with ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 (latest bios 1.28) and my system FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE can't boot (boot process stuck on acpi0 detection).
Thanks.

Hi,

I have R7 7700X with ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 (latest bios 1.28) and my system FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE can't boot (boot process stuck on acpi0 detection).
Thanks.
I use Asus Prime B650M-A with mine - FreeBSD boots just fine on it. Can't remember off the top of my head which version I have on it (probably 13.1-RELEASE, but 13.2-RELEASE is not out of question)... 😅

My lenovo T520 has FBsd 13.1. I can not suspend/resume. But it is a CD1 freebsd. I hope to try a DVD install. Laptop is slow in Xorg

Hi,

Thanks.
UPD: After some research I was able to boot the system. It was necessary to boot the system with an option hint.uart.1.disabled="1" and after that add it to /boot/device.hints.

UPD: After some research I was able to boot the system. It was necessary to boot the system with an option hint.uart.1.disabled="1" and after that add it to /boot/device.hints.
I'd also like to add that I just had the same problem with the processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X, and entering the hint in the loader prompt solves the issue!

I'd also like to add that I just had the same problem with the processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X, and entering the hint in the loader prompt solves the issue!
Hi,

This is not a problem with cpu, this is most likely a problem with all ASRock AM5 motherboards. You're using a motherboard from this manufacturer, right?

Hi,

This is not a problem with cpu, this is most likely a problem with all ASRock AM5 motherboards. You're using a motherboard from this manufacturer, right?
Yes, you are correct. From what I understand the problem is caused by the installer looking for some uart port that doesn't exist on the board?

I am using an R5 7600 with ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 I thought I found a really nice sweet spot for a FreeBSD server.

Added the following lines to the FreeBSD USB installer which enabled install of 14.0-RELEASE and then added them to the server:
hint.ppc.0.disabled=1
hint.uart.0.disabled=1
hint.uart.1.disabled=1

No ethernet though.

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3445.jpg
    IMG_3445.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3448.jpg
    IMG_3448.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 14
I use Asus Prime B650M-A with mine - FreeBSD boots just fine on it. Can't remember off the top of my head which version I have on it (probably 13.1-RELEASE, but 13.2-RELEASE is not out of question)... 😅
hey astyle, is that the ASUS B650M-A AX II, B650M-A-CSM, B650M-A II-CSM or possibly an older board? It looks like I'm in the market for a replacement.

hey astyle, is that the ASUS B650M-A AX II, B650M-A-CSM, B650M-A II-CSM or possibly an older board? It looks like I'm in the market for a replacement.
B650M-A-CSM is what I have... and I'm quite happy with it. I could not get graphics on it, but it looks like by now this thread does have some useful info about what sysctls might be helpful.

Do stay away from cheap PSUs - those can fry even a good board. I learned my lesson with an Apevia PSU (it fried a different board of mine) had to replace both board and go with a different brand of PSU - I went with EVGA.

Not sure if this is helpful but I switched to a 7960X a few weeks ago.
This is my very first time using an AMD machine but so far it seems to work just fine.

One thing I'm not sure yet is as to whether boost freqs are simply not reported by FreeBSD.

One thing I'm not sure yet is as to whether boost freqs are simply not reported by FreeBSD.
Most likely that's the case.

I assumed that my AMD 5700U was limited to 1800 MHz, sysctl(8) showing only this as maximum value, but I was mistaken.

It turns out the advertised Max Boost of 4.3 GHz is available after running following system performance measurement:
Code:
 # echo $SHELL
/bin/sh

# kldload pmc
 # pmcstat -s unhalted-core-cycles -w 1 2>&1 | sed -E -e 1d -e 's/ {15}/ /g'

second terminal:

% yes > /dev/null

Or try sysutils/stress

. https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/lenovo-thinkpad-amd-versus-intel.86912/post-586835

I went to microcenter and tried the ASUS B650M-A AX II board but also no ethernet. Fortunately, my son was with me and he pointed out that the dmesg said ethernet driver: none.

So now we have the ethernet working on the ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2

We needed to put pkg and realtek-re-kmod onto a usb, then install them.

on a working system, same FreeBSD version:
mkdir /mnt/usb
mount -t ufs /dev/da0s2a /mnt/usb
cd /mnt/usb
pkg fetch --output . pkg
pkg fetch --output . realtek-re-kmod
cd ..
umount /mnt/usb

on the ASRock:
mkdir /mnt/usb
cd /mnt
./pkg-static add All/pkg-1.21.2.pkg
./pkg-static add All/realtek-re-kmod-199.00_1.pkg

all typos are mine. I'm not sure yet what else is broken besides ppc and uart. Hopefully nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_3449.jpg
    IMG_3449.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 7
I went to microcenter and tried the ASUS B650M-A AX II board but also no ethernet. Fortunately, my son was with me and he pointed out that the dmesg said ethernet driver: none.

So now we have the ethernet working on the ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2

We needed to put pkg and realtek-re-kmod onto a usb, then install them.

on a working system, same FreeBSD version:
mkdir /mnt/usb
cd /mnt/usb
pkg fetch --output . pkg
pkg fetch --output . realtek-re-kmod
cd ..
umount /mnt/usb

on the ASRock:
mkdir /mnt/usb
cd /mnt
./pkg-static add All/pkg-1.21.2.pkg
./pkg-static add All/realtek-re-kmod-199.00_1.pkg

all typos are mine. I'm not sure yet what else is broken besides ppc and uart. Hopefully nothing.
😲

ASUS B650M-A-CSM is what I have... and I'm quite happy with it.
I could not get integrated graphics on it, but ethernet worked fine, no need for additional drivers.

I strongly suspect that you used the bootonly iso, which is pretty minimal. I use CD/DVD-sized iso that I burn to a USB stick.

Back