1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to Adobe Reader

Discussion in 'Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages' started by ccc, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ccc

ccc New Member

hi

I'm looking for alternative to Adobe Acrobat Reader, a slim free PDF Reader with browser plugin, for seamonkey or firefox.

2. fronclynne

fronclynne New Member

I don't know about browser plugins, but graphics/xpdf is what I use. It is very lightweight, and depends on little.

If you have a bunch of gtk/gnome stuff already, graphics/evince seems to work slightly better for certain large, multilayered pdfs.

Someone might suggest graphics/epdfview, which I've never used.

3. Beastie

Beastie Member

4. wblock@

wblock@ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

The browser plugin isn't necessary, you can set Firefox or other browsers to display PDF files with the viewer when it asks what application to use. The only difference is it will be in a separate window.

5. fronclynne

fronclynne New Member

There's also this or that or t'other.

And that may only be the tip of the iceberg (верхівка айсберга).

6. aragon

aragon New Member

7. graudeejs

graudeejs Member

xpdf is better than epdfview.
    I had some technical pdfs that epdfview wasn't rendering correctly.
    xpdf was rendering them much better

8. aragon

aragon New Member

It's also surprisingly configurable. Take a look at its configuration man page after installing it: xpdfrc(5).

9. UNIXgod

UNIXgod New Member

okular is really nice. may depend on kde4 libs though.

10. phoenix

phoenix Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Okular is great, but is a KDE4 app. For those without KDE4 already installed, the deps may be too big. :)

11. sk8harddiefast

sk8harddiefast Member

I know xpdf but never used it.
    Maybe I am doing wrong but I think that also gimp can preview pdf files as images :)

12. UNIXgod

UNIXgod New Member

I agree it is definitely tied to a monolithic environment. None the less it is one of the nicer pdf viewers we have.

OP here are some links:

http://okular.kde.org/

seems like they have a no compete link as well off of that page with a list if alternatives:

http://pdfreaders.org/

13. wblock@

graphics/mupdf and print/gv from that list are both in ports. MuPDF is marked broken, yet built and ran for me. Very little user interface. Haven't tried gv yet.

14. sramaswamy

sramaswamy New Member

Hi wblock,

Could you please tell us how you compiled graphics/mupdf?

15. wblock@

All I did was comment out the BROKEN= does not build line in the Makefile, just to see what the error was... but it built and worked. Of course it could be dangerous/unsafe/problematic because it was marked broken in the first place.

16. Oko

Oko Member

Actually Xpdf is one of the buggiest peaces of the software with many different patches floating all around Internet. The only advantage of Xpdf over epdfview is PDF rendering library which is the heart of any PDF viewer. I share your opinion that Xpdf rendering library is far better than Poppler used by Epdfview and few other PDF viewers (mostly Gnome related). I think that Okular is using Poppler as a rendering library just like epdfview so it is the same thing under the hood.

The best PDF rendering library by ten miles (open and close source included) is the one used by SumatraPDF viewer originally written for Windows. The library and a supper light PDF viewers are ported to Unix under the name mupdf. If you are a typical desktop users and expect more than just to see PDF documents mupdf might be little bit of shocker to you but if you are real Unix geek you will love it.

As of the plug in for the browser that is really silly question. Depends on the browser you have to chose default PDF viewer among options or sometime even to write your own script to lunch PDF viewer (XXXterm).

P.S. I just noticed that mupdf is apparently broken on FreeBSD. Sorry, I use OpenBSD so I made recommendation based on my experience.

17. OH

OH New Member

We're far from the original question now, but fot completeness sake I'll provide this link to the pr that describes the breakage, which apparently is i386-specific.

18. wblock@

There's a patch for version 0.7 in there, too. But the 0.6 port works here, and I'm running i386...

19. graudeejs

graudeejs Member

mupdf is updated to v0.7, so I checked it.... well, there is no search... that's a HUGE minus; also xpdf search seems to only support ascii strings :(

20. sramaswamy

sramaswamy New Member

Hi killasmurf86

You can actually search the document by pressing / followed by the search text! Please read the manual at http://mupdf.com/ for more features. It is by far the best PDF reader I have found for the XFCE desktop environment as it has no QT4/GNOME or other unnecessary dependencies.

21. UNIXgod

UNIXgod New Member

22. DutchDaemon

DutchDaemon Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Yes, am a big fan of the Google viewer too ;)

23. graudeejs

graudeejs Member

This is pretty old thread, but anyway I wanted to share....

I've tried graphics/zathura and I quite like it....

I totally love it, when I'm working with TeXLive.
    When I open pdf in zathura and then rebuild pdf, zathura will detect changes and update display :)
    It's totally great :)

24. vivek

vivek New Member

gnome has inbuilt tool called document viewer. It is slim and good tool. The only option I miss is a pdf editor as some stupid government website requires to send reports in PDF format. pdfedit just sucks x(

25. sk8harddiefast

sk8harddiefast Member

After tried xpdf just rocks :)