1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aircrack-ng

Discussion in 'Networking' started by walterjwhite, Mar 5, 2011.

1. walterjwhite

walterjwhite New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I recently started using FreeBSD and am playing around with aircrack-ng. I ran aircrack-ng in Linux and it worked fine for my card. However, in FreeBSD, I am unable to reproduce the same thing I did in Linux.

Do I need to patch aircrack-ng to make it work as I found in another thread, or should it work as is?

This is the process I followed in Linux:
    http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=cracking_wpa

Now, FreeBSD does not have an airmon command, so I read that I have to set the device to promiscuous mode?

I didn't get any further than that.

Walter

2. Alt

Alt New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been playing around this, too.. afaik, not all cards are supported/patched for aircrack use. I got Atheros 5xxx and aireplay-ng was not worked for me (FreeBSD 7.0 Stable). For airodump-ng I created device in monitor mode and got airodump from it, monitor mode is initializing like that:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0 wlanmode monitor

3. walterjwhite

walterjwhite New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Alt,

Thanks for your reply - I believe I tried that (and the device was put into promiscuous mode).

What else would I do from there? Can you also break the command down? What is ath0? I guess it is the monitor interface FreeBSD will create?

Walter

4. Alt

Alt New Member

Thanks Received:
    ath0 is parent WLAN interface for wifi device.
    I dont have notebook i tested it atm and dont remeber command used.. was something like this
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0 wlanmode monitor
    airodump-ng -w dumpfile
    aircrack-ng dumpfile*
    With this i was able to crack WEP key, but for WPA this is not possible without aireplay-ng. aireplay-ng was not working for my Atheros card, dont know why.. Which card do you have? Maybe you are more lucky =)

5. walterjwhite

walterjwhite New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an Intel 4965 and I read somewhere that it is fully supported. So, in theory it should work.

Walter

6. walterjwhite

walterjwhite New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I run the commands to capture packets, the command returns immediately.

Any ideas?

Walter

7. Alt

Alt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most good idea will be copypaste what you do and what you get

8. walterjwhite

walterjwhite New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ran the commands you listed above, the output was null or "\n" (a line return).

I checked dmesg and didn't see any errors there or syslog. I need to read more as to where else the error output would be.

Walter

9. Alt

Alt New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok i read some mans for you xD
    Code:
    airodump-ng -w dumpfile wlan0
    [..gather some info..]
    aircrack-ng *.cap
    That will not work on WPA, its WEP only and you should capture some keyframes, it should take a time..