Access FreeBSD with SUA OpenNT Terminal

Hi folks,

I need to access a FreeBSD system from a Windows box having installed SUA utilities. Problem is the terminal of SUA which is OpenNT and has set term = "interix". This terminal is defined on SUA in /usr/share/terminfo.src. Question is how to get these definitions on the FBSD FreeBSD box? terminfo is no use with FBSD FreeBSD?

Changing TERM to xterm just stops complaning about INTERIX, but doesn't resolve the terminal differences.

I'm not allowed to do this.

What I've learned so far is that FBSD FreeBSD uses termcap -> /usr/share/misc/termcap, so putting the definitions is that file might be the way to go? Does anyone know if and how termcap.db has to be rebuilt and anything else has to be done?

Putty doesn't need to be installed - just execute it. On the other hand you might be able to compile openssh on SUA. Using putty (or poderosa) is both easier and faster though.

The tool to use is cap_mkdb. The text termcap file is not used directly. It is used to build the termcap.db file (which is in the same directory). Make a copy of termcap.db first. The termcap text can be generated using infocmp -Cr interix (on SUA of course - unless you install the ncurses port, which most FreeBSD users find difficult).

Back