9.0p1 and ZFS

The 9.0p1/9.0p2/.../9.0pN patches are only SECURITY fixes, there are NO BUG FIXES for the RELEASE, You will have to use STABLE to have BUGs fixed.

Ok, so if I understand correctly the version that comes out from the installation DVD (RELEASE) receives security fixes. To have BINARY upgrades also for "generic" fixes, like the ZFS ones, I should switch to STABLE.
The second question now is, since I cannot use freebsd-update to "upgrade" to STABLE, how can I do? I can only find instruction for the source upgrades.
Thanks

LoZio said:
Ok, so if I understand correctly the version that comes out from the installation DVD (RELEASE) receives security fixes. To have BINARY upgrades also for "generic" fixes, like the ZFS ones, I should switch to STABLE.

There are no BINARY updates to STABLE, You have to recompile every time.

LoZio said:
The second question now is, since I cannot use freebsd-update to "upgrade" to STABLE, how can I do? I can only find instruction for the source upgrades.

Using this guide will take You where You want:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=26140

It is what I was thinking about: recompiling is not a practical option in my setup.
Thanks for the reply.

I just csup´ed a few days ago to 8-STABLE and that patch still wasn´t added.

I had forgotten about it and after restarting, the machine panicked just like before. I had to go back and refetch that patch, rebuild world and kernel again, and then it was back to normal.

@Lozio
Let us know if it´s added to 9-STABLE yet, otherwise I think it´s just been forgotten, or something. But it´s sad that it hinders people going from Solaris ZFS to FreeBSD ZFS must start by hitting a brick wall like this.

/Sebulon

Back