10.0 Release

From the release information page, it looks like FreeBSD major releases occur every 2-2.5 years. Since 9.0 was released in January, 2012, does anyone have information if 10.0 will be released in Q1 2014?

I am looking forward to this so that I can just run with the OpenSSL in the base again and not have to depend on the having both the base and port versions installed to use features like SPDY, OCSP stapling, or TLS 1.2. Having both versions installed has given me some hassle with 9.x.

Generally though releases slip massively. Especially new major version ones. Minor releases tend to slip by two-three months. I'd say a major one is quite likely to be six months later. Also my experience in the past is releases close to Christmas holidays tend to be delayed until the new year as well.

Whenever FreeBSD 10 will be released, is it so that essential things like NTFS support will be included, since the NTFS kernel module seems to be removed from the CURRENT branch?

You're right. :) It was a wrong word. (I needed read access to be able to copy a file which I had stored on the Windows partition, which seems to be unsupported in CURRENT -- that's why I used the word "essential", since it was just that to me there and then). Useful would perhaps be a better word? :)

You're supposed to use the FUSE system to access NTFS partitions under FreeBSD 10. The FUSE kernel modules are in the base system already and you'll just need the userland FUSE ports installed.

I store all my packages on an NTFS formatted external hard drive which is a bit of a catch-22 ;)

Similar to downloading firmware for my wireless card to get a network connection.

kpa said:
You're supposed to use the FUSE system to access NTFS partitions under FreeBSD 10. The FUSE kernel modules are in the base system already and you'll just need the userland FUSE ports installed.

I know. Already tried that and it works fine. I was just asking if the NTFS kernel module would be added when FreeBSD 10 is released, since it exists on FreeBSD 9, though I guess that answer would be a no then. :)

tingo said:
Not everyone thinks that NTFS is "essential".

Exactly. In fact, I'd argue that if you're thinking about writing to NTFS from FreeBSD, you are making a mistake. It is a proprietary filesystem that Microsoft may change in unspecified ways from service pack to service pack.

throAU said:
Exactly. In fact, I'd argue that if you're thinking about writing to NTFS from FreeBSD, you are making a mistake.

It is a proprietary filesystem that Microsoft my change in unspecified ways from service pack to service pack.

That is true. What I meant when I said NTFS support, was read-only support -- as if I for any reason want to copy something from Windows to FreeBSD. If there is something I need to change on the NTFS filesystem, whether it's a document or something I want to copy to the NTFS system, I of course use Windows for that. :)

vand777 said:
There was a post on this forum few days with a link to the 10.0 status page. I cannot find it now. But I do remember that it is due in November, if not October. Usually the release dates slide by one-two months, so I would expect 10.0 to be released in Dec 2013/Jan 2014.

UPDATE: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.0R/schedule.html

Is this going to happen this year or will it be for the end of the next year??. Will there be some RC first??.

FreeBSD 10.0 will be released near the end of this year or a bit later.

And of course there will be several beta and release candidate versions before they release it.

Code:
Index of ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-amd64/10.0/

Up to higher level directory
Name 	Size 	Last Modified
File:CHECKSUM.MD5 	                             1 KB 	09/13/13 	02:22:00
File:CHECKSUM.SHA256 	                             1 KB 	09/13/13 	02:22:00
File:FreeBSD-10.0-ALPHA1-amd64-bootonly.iso 	222428 KB 	09/13/13 	02:20:00
File:FreeBSD-10.0-ALPHA1-amd64-disc1.iso 	745366 KB 	09/13/13 	02:19:00
File:FreeBSD-10.0-ALPHA1-amd64-memstick.img 	796712 KB 	09/13/13 	02:21:00
So you can already try it ;)

Its It's coming almost at the same time than as 9.2, so my question is what to do?.? Based always on security, should I wait for the 10.0 release or I go for 9.2??.

10.0 will not be an extended support release. Wait for 10.1 if you plan to use the 10.X line in production.

kpa said:
10.0 will not be an extended support release. Wait for 10.1 if you plan to use the 10.X line in production.
Agreed. Stick to 9.1 or 9.2 and use 10.0 only for testing purposes.

GreenMeanie said:
I can't wait for 10 with a boot splash finally :).

Hopefully USB will mount normally now.

You mean auto-mounting, I don't see anything about that anywhere?

Back