Latest activity

• grahamperrin
    grahamperrin reacted to vermaden's post in the thread Other XFS on BSD with Thanks Thanks.
    I do not have anything against UFS as I stated here - it still has its uses - https://is.gd/bsdstg - but You have to be REALLY low on memory to not use ZFS :) For example I have run 2 x 2TB ZFS mirror with 512 MB RAM along with running other...
  • B
    Beastie7 replied to the thread Other XFS on BSD.
    And yet you still haven't provided objective reasons to adopt this filesystem, nor did you mention practical deficiencies given a set of use case scenarios. I can tell you've been spoiled by the GPL and like-minded individuals; your sense of...
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin reacted to ralphbsz's post in the thread Other XFS on BSD with Like Like.
    If it is so good, why isn't it the default on Linux? (Personal comment: I actually think that XFS is a pretty good file system, and I know some of the people who developed it personally, some are neighbors, some are colleagues. One of its great...
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin replied to the thread Other XFS on BSD.
    Which part of the title (XFS on BSD) – or the opening post – excludes discussion of FUSE-based approaches to XFS on FreeBSD? You meant fsck XFS.
  • BSD-Kitsune
    BSD-Kitsune replied to the thread Other XFS on BSD.
    Yes and no. In general I think the move from illumos to ZoL and making ZoL THE reference implementation is crowdsourcing around a popular, but inferior, implementation. ZFS was always a "good enough for now" stopgap. I wanted hammer2 for years...
  • grahamperrin
    Very nice, now it al seems to work as it should! I hope you can follow the things that happened along the command sequence you issued. My guess it that somehow at some moment something went wrong with your /var/db/ntp/ntpd.pid. What I know...
  • grahamperrin
    This looks and works as it is supposed to: promising. You had ntpd already running (from boot) and you succesfully stopped it via service Next try these and with output, as root again: ps -auxww | grep ntpd service ntpd start ps -auxww | grep...
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin reacted to Scribner's post in the thread Time Is UTC, but Time Zone Is Local with Thanks Thanks.
    root@<hostname>:/home/<username> # ps -auxww | grep ntpd root 54877 0.0 0.0 12868 2440 1 S+ 21:01 0:00.00 grep ntpd root@<hostname>:/home/<username> # service ntpd start Starting ntpd. root@<hostname>:/home/<username> # ps...
  • grahamperrin
    With rm?
  • grahamperrin
    Thank you. That number "70107" is the PID (process ID) of the ntpd. With a running ntpd the number in /var/db/ntp/ntpd.pid should be the same as the PID you see when running ps (second column): ntpd 70107 0.0 0.1 21864 6552 - Ss...
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin reacted to Scribner's post in the thread Time Is UTC, but Time Zone Is Local with Thanks Thanks.
    You wanted me to run these next two commands as root as well, correct? I am new to Unix, so I need to know when I should run commands as root. Needless to say, I did run them as root. Here it goes: root@<hostname>:/home/<username> # ps -auxww |...
  • grahamperrin
    As root, could you execute and show the output of the following commands: ls -l /var/db/ntp/ntpd.pid Check if ntpd is not running with: ps -auxww | grep ntpd Start ntpd manually and not via the service command (note: this is one line!)...
  • grahamperrin
    You wanted me to run all of the commands as root, correct? I did (and my command prompt of # should reflect that). Someone please let me know if it was unsafe to run any of these commands or post their output. I replaced my hostname with...
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin reacted to Erichans's post in the thread Time Is UTC, but Time Zone Is Local with Thanks Thanks.
    Yes, you understood correctly, as root. You already had a ntpd running; that is why you saw: 4 Dec 19:19:05 ntpd[57676]: unable to bind to wildcard address :: - another process may be running - EXITING I suspect there is something wrong with...
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin replied to the thread pr coding: titles.
    Can the request be made only if a reader points (without clicking)? Visually, much the same way that Bugzilla itself presents the summary line of a linked bug, as a hover tip, only if there's pointing at the link.
  • grahamperrin
    eternal_noob now you can never change your signature now everyone wants a dog named R. Buckminster Fuller that thinks only of beautiful solutions.
  • grahamperrin
  • Zare
    Any fellow users here? While I get the permission to post threads on their board, I might as well ask here if anyone knows the solution. The application is written in Erlang. There's no OpenGL visualisation, you can click and get menus but the...
  • J
    Jose reacted to mark_j's post in the thread Other count digits recursive with Like Like.
    I haven't followed this topic, but reading your last post about the reason for recursive functions: well it's more of an academic exercise than anything else. Dah! With small functions it can be more readable. With larger functions it can be a...
  • J
    jb_fvwm2 reacted to monwarez's post in the thread libtree for linux portable? with Thanks Thanks.
    With minimal patching, it kinda work. What I did install: devel/cxxopts, devel/termcolor, devel/elfio For patching: Creating directory: /usr/local/share/elfio/cmake And adding the file: elfioConfig.cmake, elfioConfigVersion.cmake...
  • Business_Woman
    You could also use mtree for this.
  • swills@
    OK, I'm an idiot. Apparently the gifconfig_gif0 doesn't work any longer, per one of the mailing lists. Instead, it should be ifconfig_gif0="tunnel <my IP> <HE's IP> and sure enough, that does the trick.
  • alfikmik
    alfikmik replied to the thread php 8.1 when will be available.
    Thans for reply, could U please, give an URL where i can track PHP port?
  • alfikmik
    alfikmik replied to the thread php 8.1 when will be available.
    PHP 8.0 have a lot of new things and a lot of deprecated features was removed ... so it's natural... Please for future read question first. I know what difference is between 7.x and 8.0 and 8.1. I just wondering when 8.1 will be available in...
  • grahamperrin
    I accidentally found another reason for "candidates" - when the repository contains several versions of the same package. Here is my story: # pkg upgrade Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue... FreeBSD repository is up to date. Updating GPIO...
  • grahamperrin
    Something simple. To write mbr, partition & label gpt partitions i use linux. Formatting to ufs/zfs i do with freesd. Linux feels smoother and streamlined , for this simple job. Or in other words there is room for improvement on the freebsd...
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin reacted to danger@'s post in the thread Coding for MAN and PMAN markup with Thanks Thanks.
    I am not sure if I entirely understood your request, but I made a simple change to the pman bbcode, let me know if that is what you requested.
  • grahamperrin
    Thanks, True or false?
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin replied to the thread pr coding: titles.
    You can create an account for yourself, however some areas are limited to customers; other areas allow posting but a version is expected (i.e. these areas are intended for server admins); and so on.
  • monwarez
    monwarez replied to the thread libtree for linux portable?.
    With minimal patching, it kinda work. What I did install: devel/cxxopts, devel/termcolor, devel/elfio For patching: Creating directory: /usr/local/share/elfio/cmake And adding the file: elfioConfig.cmake, elfioConfigVersion.cmake...
    • libtree.png
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin replied to the thread Other XFS on BSD.
    The topic here is XFS on BSD, so I disagree: a port of XFS is on topic.
  • N
    An update on what I ended up doing. I installed the system from FreeBSD-13.0-STABLE-amd64-20211125-354988ca3f9-248228-memstick as 13.0-RELEASE does neither have support for the "Ethernet Connection (14) I219-V" adapter, and "frankenbuilding"...
    • NVidia_with_EFI.png
    • IGPU_with_EFI.png
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin replied to the thread C/C++ disk io.
    joske <https://www.freebsd.org/status/report-2021-07-2021-09/#_ztop> reminds me, can code for ztop help with any of what you're developing?
  • R
    I don't know a way of restricting import to skip datasets; it works at the granularity of a pool. It might be possible using ZBD, by modifying metadata to make the damaged pool look like it doesn't even exist. But I have a question: You are...
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin replied to the thread Dream Setup.
    Things now are clearer: improved amd64 UEFI boot was sponsored by the FreeBSD Foundation. From the status report: So, there's no longer the wish for this: (Prior to the status report, I tracked the various bugs but I wasn't sure whether...
  • BSD-Kitsune
    BSD-Kitsune replied to the thread Other XFS on BSD.
    I think this is a gross oversimplification. I won't be wanting to retreat to GNU/Linux because I find many of the choices they make unacceptable, and as far as drastic changes goes, FreeBSD has gone through a lot. The 13 release was the final...
  • J
    jb_fvwm2 replied to the thread libtree for linux portable?.
    Nm, reading github it has linux-specific files... afaik
  • grahamperrin
    I haven't used the guest often enough to draw any conclusion but now, looking at properties for C:, it's set to not compress, so something (I can't recall what, sorry) must have driven me to experiment with the option disabled. Slightly more...
    • 1638639642921.png
  • J
    Jose replied to the thread Other count digits recursive.
    More irrelevant nonsense. Now you're adding a non-static inner class instead of a method. The result is the same. You need an instance for non-static classes just like you do for non-static methods and variables if you want to access them in a...
  • danger@
    danger@ replied to the thread pr coding: titles.
    I guess you will have a better luck asking this at the XF community forums.
  • J
    Jose reacted to grahamperrin's post in the thread Frame.work laptop with Thanks Thanks.
    FreeBSD bug 260161 – usb enumeration stalls on a framework laptop
  • J
    Jose reacted to kpedersen's post in the thread Other XFS on BSD with Like Like.
    It is a difficult balancing act for the project. You have two types of people (there are more I'm going to simplify). People like me who find many improvements unnecessary and either contribute to bloat, pointless redevelopment of existing...
  • grahamperrin
    Is there a guide or recipe for how to configure a zvol for a Windows guest with VirtualBox? My current setup is low-end, simplistic: .vhd stored in a single-disk pool that uses an old slow mobile hard disk drive (StoreJet Transcend): % zpool...
  • B
    Does anyone know how to stop this msg popping up when applying a diff? According to 42044/post-233763, the patch is being applied from the wrong directory, in which case, where should it be applied from. Alternatively, could it be because the...
  • grahamperrin
    No i'm not talking about old used 1TB disk it was just an example for the calculation of using enterprise disk compared to midline 7200rpm disk. Hard disk that have >= 160 IOPs (random 128K read) and >165 IOPs (random 50% Write /50% Read) are...
  • grahamperrin
    Thank you guys ! Thanks god - no windows, only BSD servers hosted so far. Thank you for information about speeding up IOPS, unfortunately SSD-s is not an option at the moment - too expensive.... Someone may found this visualized illustration of...
  • grahamperrin
    grahamperrin replied to the thread Time is always wrong.
    Probably irrelevant, but I thought of your topic this morning when I read <https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-hackers/2021-December/000595.html> ▶ <https://github.com/eggert/tz/blob/2018g/etcetera#L38-L44>
  • grahamperrin
    That appears normal, compared to mine. I never have, because it confuses me. Should I add 1, or subtract 1, if I set the time in BIOS during British Summer Time?
  • grahamperrin
    I ran # ee /etc/ntp.conf as root. Could I also have run % ee /etc/ntp.conf as a regular user, since I am only viewing--not editing--a file? I still make the mistake of doing Ctrl-C to copy when I am in a terminal, and I don't want to mess up...
  • alfikmik
    I'm curious where i can check when php 8.1 will be available in ports